Chicken ate Snake

BrineChickFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
So I'm pretty sure this isnt an emergency, but here's what happened...

I just heard my 2 guinea's squawking up a storm so I run outside to see whats going on. I find them all in a frenzy running around (the story of running around like a chicken with your head cut off comes to mind), and after a moment I realize that all the chickens/turkeys/guinea's are chasing Goldie (white Delaware chicken), and it appears she has a worm in her mouth. I'm like geez, what's the big fuss? So finally get closer and its actually a snake, Yes a SNAKE! I tried several times to get it from her because it looked way too big for her to eat in one chomp, but no, she's headstrong and wanted nothing to do with me. She swallowed it in three gulps!

So my question is, is she going to be ok? I've heard of guinea's eating snakes before but not chickens. The snake was green with a light brown belly and was about a foot or so long.

Chickens eat snakes and frogs and mice all the time. I wouldn't worry. My delaware hen always swallows her mice whole and it has never been a problem. Good protein!

Oh my, thanks for the heads up! And Goldie is doing just fine, just maybe a little more cocky?? She definitely is my bravest little hen!

Back
Top Bottom