Chicken attack!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arpyhh, Sep 28, 2012.

1. arpyhh

arpyhh Out Of The Brooder

It's been 2 weeks now that we've had our girls (RSL)
    They have certainly gotten comfortable...
    Whenever I go down to the coop they run to the gate and literally attack me for treats!
    If I'm not bringing them food, they peck at my fingers and shoes and pants! What the heck?

I have to admit that I feel guilty if I go in there without anything for them so I will usually bring something like cucumber or tomato pieces or brown rice (they went crazy for that!) or something along those lines.... Am I creating little monsters here by spoiling them? Can you spoil a chicken?

They don't attack me in a mean way, just an aggressive "we're starving, what did you bring us"? kind of mentality.

I leave their (wet) mash out and dry mash out so they can eat whenever they want, they can't be literally hungry can they??

Then they try to follow me out of the run (this just started).

Do you think they are really hungry?

Also got our first egg last sunday, gotten 1 each day and today we got 2!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think they are doing a great job of training you. [​IMG]

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    chickens have treat-obsessed minds and i agree sometimes i also feel guilty if i dont give them something, but it is possible to spoil them. the first think id try is not giving them any extra treats when you go out there to see them for a little bit and see if they will get the hint; 'no more treats. '
    of course some extra food they like given in good moderation is ok and if its healthy like most vegatables, it can be a good thing, but not too much

4. arpyhh

arpyhh Out Of The Brooder

Hahaha- so it would seem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by