chicken attack

Tina76

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
My cat had come indoors a few mornings ago with a pretty good size wound on his ear. I assumed it was from another cat until this morning when my neighbor came to my door and told me that my rooster had been attacked. I ran around back and found my rooster, then quickly wrapped him in a towel brought him insid and cleaned him up. After putting him in a cage, I went to do a head count on my chickens. I was only able to find three of the four after an extensive search around my property and the cemetery across the street where the paw prints led. I recruited my daughter who also helped me look again, but to no avail. The same neighbor came again with the youngest of my chickens in hand and said that she was down the strret in the ditch with the dog, who was bitting at her. She now is cleaned up and in the cage with Roo. I am confilicted about the actions I should take with regards to the punishment. I love all animals and I know that the dog was just being a dog, but my chickens are free range and stay within a certain area of my yard. I also do not know if I should use topical medication on the birds or not?

thank you.
I had washed them out but all I have here is anti-biotic cream and am unsure if I should use that or go out and get some neosporin. The rooster has mostly lost just feathers with some irritation on the underside, but my chicken has some broken skin and some bleeding which has stopped.

I lost the chicken yesterday. My rooster is still in shock. I have purchased and applied the medication. I am still waiting to hear from the neighbor whose dog did this, but did call animal control after Midnight died.

Sorry to hear about the dog attack and the loss of Midnight. You did the right thing by calling animal control - if the neighbor won't control the dog, AC should! Hope you get some restitution and resolution out of this!!

Back
Top Bottom