My new puppy has suddenly taken an interest in our new hens.

That's the thing, he's already pretty good at ignoring them, glances at them as he walks past but not chasing. its fairly infrequently that I have to call him off. Until these 6 new hens.

Eggs are a regular part of their feed, I've never really used it as a treat. It might be to late to change it to just a treat now.

It's never too late to up the anti. Dogs thrive on surprise. Even the slightest change in your regular routine will have them very interested in you. Even putting on certain shoes tells my dogs what I'm doing next. So what happens when I walk outside barefoot? Oooh, they have no clue lol but are like hawks trying to figure it out = these moments is when the value for me is 100% nothing in the immediate environment distracts them. This is when I reward them = play games. I scatter a handful of kibble around the lawn. Do they go for the 5% value kibble or stay focused on me as I'm running off to hide behind a bush or the garbage bin? It's their choice but If I maintain the value, and they choose me, and they will because what dog doesn't like a good chase and hunt session? then they get a small cube of cheese or roast beef each for making the right choice.

HodgeEdi.jpg

Hodge and Edi playing the impulse control game. This started with 5 minute sessions of (low value) kibble each evening, slowing working up to very high value treats such as roast beef or even highest value small bits of chicken schnitzel! I'm still 100% because their focus is on me despite their love and the proximity of the roast beef.

SO many things to say here.... He is a baby!! Training him is a long process. His DNA is perfect for flock protection but... he's still a baby, not even a toddler yet so have very low expectations right now.

Peroxide as a punishment?!?!?!!!! Did I read that right?

My toddler Leonberger, similar in way to Anatolian and Pyrenees, is a giant, heavy bouncing ball of crazy around my chickens. He's in training, he's unpredictable. He does seem to be way more interested in some chickens over others. I've seen that in my other Leonberger's as well.

Patience. Keep separated until trained. Conduct actual on leash training sessions "be nice to chickens." Reward based, not fear based.

SO many things to say here.... He is a baby!! Training him is a long process. His DNA is perfect for flock protection but... he's still a baby, not even a toddler yet so have very low expectations right now.

Peroxide as a punishment?!?!?!!!! Did I read that right?

My toddler Leonberger, similar in way to Anatolian and Pyrenees, is a giant, heavy bouncing ball of crazy around my chickens. He's in training, he's unpredictable. He does seem to be way more interested in some chickens over others. I've seen that in my other Leonberger's as well.

Patience. Keep separated until trained. Conduct actual on leash training sessions "be nice to chickens." Reward based, not fear based.

The vet told us to give peroxide to our dogs if they ate anything that might be toxic or harm them. For instance the 2 corgis got into the suet we have for outside birds. Had to make them vomit.

Back
Top Bottom