Chicken attacked by an opossum-PLEASE HELP!

jrun112

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Last week, my chicken was attacked my an opossum and he attacked her rear (inflicting 2 holes on either side of her butt).
We poured hydrogen peroxide on the wounds and today, I applied neosporin to the wound.
She has been pecking at it every so often (I really don't know how to properly cover it) and has been lying around a lot, seeming to be weak in her legs. She also rests her head every so often. She has not had an egg since the day after the attack. There is also a strange smell to her.
I'm not sure how to further address these wounds, or even if its better to put her out of her misery if there is not a chance she will live.
Any advice is greatly appreciated, because I cannot stand to see her suffer any longer.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to her your lady went through such a awefull thing. Glad she was not killed though. I think the neosporion is excellent. She is probley tramatzed and may need some quiet time. I am new at this being my first year, so by all meens not a expert, but what your doing is what I would for first aid. When it comes to them or my ladies and boys my shotgun wins everytime :) I sure hope yours feel better soon.

Kristin

Last edited:
Your biggest enemy is going to be infection. If they are deep wounds, I would suggest going to your local tractor supply store or call your vet to see if you can get some penicillin to give her. I don't like to use it but sometimes you have to if there are deep punctures. Clean the wounds daily with either warm soapy water or diluted iodine and water. You can also get blue kote spray and spray the area, it acts as a protectant and its intibacterial. Isolate her from the rest of the crew, keep her warm and quiet, plenty of water and food...find her favorite treat and offter it also. Hopefully this will help.

Back
Top Bottom