Chicken attacked by Ants

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mblorenz, May 30, 2011.

1. mblorenz

mblorenz New Egg

May 30, 2011
    We had a chicken attacked by fire ants this weekend. Located her, rinsed her off for 20 minutes, and again the next morning. The ants seem to be out of her feathers, but it appears as though she has many bites around the eyes and they have swollen shut. She has been isolated for the last 3 days. She is lethargic and eating nothing and only drinking a little. Not moving around because of the blindness either.
    Any suggestions?

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Keep her hydrated and give her some pick-me-ups like sugar water. The ant venom must have did a number on her... Poor thing. maybe some Neosporin on her exposed skin.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    wow that sounds horrible for her. maybe in addition to the sugar try some electrolyte powder which you can get at the feed store. Some folks have recommended a bit of gatorade or pedialyte mix in the water in pinch.

I did a search on stings On the forum this thread may be or interest https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=185520&p=4

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    aww, poor thing... you may want to put your fingers in ice water and then put it on the spots where she is hurting a lot, when i got bitten by a fire ant it hurt like mental, and the cold helped, i doubt you can use an ice pack on the chicken!

5. rooneycrew

rooneycrew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    North Manchester, IN
    That's terrible! I have never heard of that before! Hope it gets better!

6. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    There might be something else going on..., perhaps that is why she didn't move away from the ants? Or did she try to get them off?

7. buckboy101

buckboy101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    [​IMG] im so sorry i hope she gets better!

8. SentryFE

SentryFE Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Spray around coop and run with termidor sc. Its kinda pricey but it will put it on ants. I had some ant problems and purchased some to be rid of fireants and carpenter ants after nothing else would work. termidor will wipe them out.

9. toysmom

toysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    I hope she gets better. keep us updated.

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You can give her about 1 cc (more can be given but this amount works well) of Children's Benadryl to counter the reaction to the venom. It may be a bit late for that now but it will make her more comfortable and help her sleep.

Gatoraid will keep her hydrated as well as give her a boost which should increase her appetite. She may find scrambled egg with a bit of yogurt more appealing than just regular feed plus it is high in protein.

Polysporin can safely be used in and around the eyes to prevent infection.

Good luck and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by