Chicken attacked by dog need help Bone exposed

One of my hens had a large super deep wound all the way to the fascia and muscle, it looked awful! (Rooster scratched her and she bled, then the rest cannibalized her). I thought she would not survive but I took the advice on BYC of the Vectericyn spray and neosporin original, morning and night. Feeding scrambled eggs for extra protein. Using the probiotic/electrolyte in her water. I can't believe how fast she is healing, and how it all filled in! I don't know how she didnt need a skin graft it was that bad. I am keeping her in a small coop enclosure in my guest room... I read how chickens have amazing healing abilities. I hope your girl heals fast! ❤
Thanks! I also was wondering how it would heal with no skin but I’m hearing miracles happening!

It is amazing how the skin will granulate in and heal up so well that one might never know how severe a chicken's injuries were to begin with.

I believe you mentioned scratch grains on the previous page, which is an ok treat for her, but with the healing process going on think of the scratch grains like candy or treats. Alone they will not provide enough nutrients to keep her strong through this process. Her regular feed has (or should, I don't know what brand you have) added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that grains alone can't supply. I realize you probably don't plan to replace her regular feed with them, just wanted you to know ahead of time that they are less nutrient dense than her feed.

You are doing a great job and in a few weeks you will be amazed at how far along she will be.

Thats great she is still doing well!! Also like you, my wounded chicken is our favorite. The friendliest and sweetest personality so I understand...Here’s photos to show you how good and fast she healed up. The first photo was About 2 days in, i was too traumatized to think to take a photo It was originally a deep cavity where you could see muscle and other things I couldn't identify. The second is 12 days later! And a photo of her- Joan (Jett). Hope this gives you hope ❤️

Attachments

• 3B9B9F87-73BF-4D6F-9BBA-E6326A7E72BA.png
    3B9B9F87-73BF-4D6F-9BBA-E6326A7E72BA.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 46C94D72-973F-4EC4-902E-1BEC9C159C50.jpeg
    46C94D72-973F-4EC4-902E-1BEC9C159C50.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 12
  • CEE16CBF-0B2D-4C46-9B6A-8FF0371C4A52.jpeg
    CEE16CBF-0B2D-4C46-9B6A-8FF0371C4A52.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 12
Please bring the little bird to a vet who treats chickens. Dogs carry a bacteria in their mouth (well LOTS of bacteria actually), but one in particular which causes acute fowl cholera. So even if he survives the injury, he may die from sepsis if he is not given an antibiotic. Here is a directory of vets who see chickens - http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php. Here is a case story about a hen who was attacked by a dog and received treatment, she survived - http://www.poultrydvm.com/cases/goldie

It is amazing how the skin will granulate in and heal up so well that one might never know how severe a chicken's injuries were to begin with.

I believe you mentioned scratch grains on the previous page, which is an ok treat for her, but with the healing process going on think of the scratch grains like candy or treats. Alone they will not provide enough nutrients to keep her strong through this process. Her regular feed has (or should, I don't know what brand you have) added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that grains alone can't supply. I realize you probably don't plan to replace her regular feed with them, just wanted you to know ahead of time that they are less nutrient dense than her feed.

You are doing a great job and in a few weeks you will be amazed at how far along she will be.
Thank you.

My dog just attacked one of my chickens... I've been crying all day. He got the shoulder part of her wing and bone is exposed. Reading your post gives me hope. We soaked the wound area with water and betadine mix and vetrimycin spray... she's separated in our warm home with food and water that has electrolytes and helps their acidity levels (for stress). My soul is just hurting so bad for her I know she is in pain. She knows we're trying to help her though. The dog is now on a aerial lead and will not be free ranging until we make a large area separate on our property for the chickens to be able to free range still. He's our livestock guardian dog so it's very disappointing but he's not even 5 months and is 65 lbs... I'm devastated for my baby. She's such a good hen. Thank you all for the advice you gave the poster. Say a few prayers for my girl please!

Back
Top Bottom