chicken attacked by raccoon

jayeohio

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
I was closing the coops last night and surprised a raccoon on top of one of the hens inside the coop. The coon ran off and I moved the body of the hen to one side, to deal with in the morning. Come morning, she had moved a couple of feet-- she's alive! Her neck is very floppy, she can't hold up her head-- I don't know if it's broken or not. I gave her some water and she drank it. Then I made her a neck brace from a toilet paper roll.
Am I being stupid to think that she might recover from this? Should I just put her out of her misery (although she seems more stunned than in pain)? I've lost chickens to predators, but have never been in this situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would put her into a seperate area, somewhere the others can't get to her with her own food and water. Give her some time to see if she gets out of shock. I've had a girl with her neck skinned, airway punctured, jaws exposed, ear torn out, and in shock barely breathing recover just fine with minimal help. The first day or two is the worst but if there is improvement in the first few days there is a good chance she will recover. If she doesn't show any improvement after 4 or 5 days I would put her out of her misery.

Are there any wounds on her? Or is she just in shock? If there are open wounds I would spray with an antibacterial spray like Vetericyn. I wouldn't use blu-kote or any similar products, it stings really bad (I've tested it on myself, not fun) and you don't want to put her through any additional pain while she is recovering from shock.

I was closing the coops last night and surprised a raccoon on top of one of the hens inside the coop. The coon ran off and I moved the body of the hen to one side, to deal with in the morning. Come morning, she had moved a couple of feet-- she's alive! Her neck is very floppy, she can't hold up her head-- I don't know if it's broken or not. I gave her some water and she drank it. Then I made her a neck brace from a toilet paper roll.
Am I being stupid to think that she might recover from this? Should I just put her out of her misery (although she seems more stunned than in pain)? I've lost chickens to predators, but have never been in this situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
Bird do recover, but it depends on what is going on. You will want to give her an exam. Does she have any puncture wounds? Is her only symptom that she can't hold her head up? Take pictures of anything you can see and post them if you are able to.

We had the same thing happen just this Sunday. Ours is separated in our basement, her neck only seems to have gotten worse, but we never braced it or anything. It almost seems like wry neck. Ours has even laid an egg but I'm worried about the neck. I just posted my own thing, but I was looking for ideas on it too.

We're giving her vitamin water and food at the moment.

Did she get injured? You should probably post your own thread. Post pictures if you can. I know that you use vitmin E for wry neck, but I don't know the dose.

Did she get injured? You should probably post your own thread. Post pictures if you can. I know that you use vitmin E for wry neck, but I don't know the dose.
I did post my own. Unfortunately, her neck is too far gone at this point that we are planning to euthanize her. I'm not sure what else we could even do. She seemed more physically active after the hydro hen and some water, but again, it's her neck that's the problem. That worsened, which makes me think there's nothing I can do for her.

So sorry to hear you had lost your chicken as well!

We are trying to catch the raccoon so attacks like this stops.

Back
Top Bottom