Chicken attacked by something, neck is bent,

mswheeler

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
Phyllis, my chicken who is already blind in one eye was attacked by something 2 days ago. She had tail feathers pulled out and had blood around her neck when I found her in a corner of a building. The first day she just stood in one spot while I looked her over and cleaned her up. It seemed that maybe she just had some blood from her comb around her. No other bleeding. She poop the first night and the next day she layed an egg. She still remained in one spot. I tried to give her water, food but she would turn away from me when I tried.

The next day her poop has turned runny. She still won't drink or eat. I noticed that she has her head back like her neck might be broken. She has a bulge in the front where her beak is now. She doesn't like when I touch the bulge. Her eyes are mainly closed and now she lays down to rest or just stands in one spot all day. She moves her beak every once in a while and makes a whiny noise like she,s trying to breath. She seems to still have stuff in her gullet.

I don't know if she was attacked by another chicken or if a cat got to her. I took her outside today and my #1 chicken was ready to attack her so I took her back inside the house. I'm trying to give her water with a straw but she doesn't like it.

I don't know what to do for her, does anyone have any advice?

Could she have broken her neck but still be alive?

I'm wondering if she may have subcutaneous emphysema, which is air under the skin that has escaped from a punctured air sac. There was a thread on the emergency forum just tonight on that subject if you want to look it up and read it. This happens when there is trauma to the chest or another part of the body.The air may absorb on it'sown, or you can try to deflate it with a small needle and a large syringe. Sometimes the air will reaccumulate, and you can keep drawing it off.

First,check her crop,is it full? I had something similar happen to a silkie roo,he got into a mild tussle with another of my silkie roos,no blood and no wounds,but he immediately was showing signs of stress,open beak breathing,etc. He then refused to eat or drink and was basically comatose,could not keep his eyes open,just stayed in same spot and did not move. I started him on aspirin for pain and swelling,placed a hot water bottle beside him(he was in a cat bed at this point)for warmth and started tube feeding him. I tube fed him for about 9 days(made up my own feed)twice a day,gradually he started pecking at his feed and tube feeding was reduced to once a day,then he started fighting the tube feeding,so i stopped,he has now recovered and is back to his old self,but very attached to me now. He did drink water on his own,but i had to physically place the water up to his beak(i use a small pill bottle filled with water and add crushed aspirin to water)i offered him water several times a day,he would drink,but only if i placed the small pill bottle up to and touching the tip of his beak. His neck also appeared bent at a strange angle at the time and there did seem to be a bulge in front,but his crop was empty.

Back
Top Bottom