Chicken Attacked, Doing Well but maybe some Antibiotics?

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
I guess one of the chickens got attacked today, I really don't know. I put them out in the garden and today when I was bringing one in I saw a little cut so I set her down and lift up her wing and WHOA
ep.gif
There was this huge gash under the wing, and then there was a 'Pocket' where it looks like the skin was separated from the carcass. Eveything inside the 'pocket' was nice and pink and moist. There was some dead crusty skin and I cut it away and cleaned the outside. I also clipped some of the feathers away and plan to trim some more away to keep it clean. Shes all by herself. Otherwise she looks no worse for ware, not acing weird, only showed pain when I was cleaning.

I really have NO idea what it's from. They normally live in their pen which is a covered run. When im home and working outside I put them in the garden so they can be real chickens. And all day I was right next to the garden in the pasture cleaning the run in. But because it was crusty around the edges it makes me think it wasn't new. But I didn't notice it on her when I turned her out.

But it all looks healthy so that's good! Should I give her any antibiotics for the safe side?

I'll post pictures tomorrow!

probably no need if it looks like you say, most of the time just keeping it clean and applying neosporin or something simular would probably be enough. most important to look at it daily to make sure it's not smelly or changing for the worst, but it's amazing how well they heal. also might need to put something on her to keep flies off of the wound. might want to treat with blue-kote after a few days to help it dry up. Sorry she got hurt but with TLC she should be fine..

Quote:
Okay! The 'Pocket' is kinda deep, I don't want to put anything in there and have it stay in there. eeew. So im keeping her alone and in clean shavings and just keep the outside of it clean. It's so weird!

I had a hen get attacked pretty badly by a raccoon last fall. She was really gnarly. Anyways, I did just like you- cleaned up the areas and clipped the feathers away. I washed the wounds out, they were fairly deep- she had a bone exposed on her wing. I packed her wounds with triple antibiotic and cleaned them out every third day or so for about 2 weeks. I had her isolated in a cage indoors because she was really touch and go for awhile. Anyways, it took about 3 months but you'd never know anything was wrong with her now aside from one wing hangs lower than the other.

I have used injectable antibiotics in the past but didn't this time. After the first 2 or 3 weeks I even stopped the ointment use. I think your hen will be just fine. It's amazing how hardy they are.

any wounds on any one or thing should be heavily flushed with a saline water - or sterile water. not bottled or tap water -
saline wound flush can be bought any where including dollar general - we have it in all 1st kits in cars, trucks, house, barn, shop etc
syringes are important - you need power behind the flush to get the results we are looking for - you can get saline wash in a pressurized spray can
that REALLY helps - 1st spray away from area as it jets strong but only for a sec - figure 2 flushings per can on teh hen - 1 per human
you can never over flush - never...
smile.png

bacteria control is the objective - so something that kills bacteria - but does not burn or granulate the skin.... is generally next
yesterday and this am i flushed our hen's bite with a betadine solution - husband is allergic to iodine so we dont have any BUT in a 1st aid supply kit there were tons of prepacked betadine - iodine wound wipes - i put 2 in a 4 oz bottle of saline - steeped till looked like tea - so it was diluted - not full strength to burn the tissues an prevent healing - but strong enough with enough in quantity to flush good rissing any bacteria hanging about..... - yesterday i put a medihoney patch on the wond because we have some - its horrible expensive - but works on diabetic wounds well so we have it on hand - the lesser wounds i flushed and packed with neo - i also wrapped a soft gauze around her entire body to hold bandages in place and keep yuckies out - being sure she coulsd move her legs and wings - only 1 leg is functional at this time - one shows no damage but a small tooth hole in her thigh - yet she wont bear weight on it - they say to hold food for a few ours to be ure her crop is good to go - my gal chowed a tomatoe and lettuce - i am with holding grains and pushing soft veggies and fruits to keep her hydrated.... i hope - i just read about aspirin - 325 mg per gal of water.... and am debating an oral antibiotic.....
roll.png

very strong iodine or others are caustic and granulate the tissue it cant close up and has to be trimmed away - no fun for any one - so use lighter concenraions and avoid the issue - use the ointments till 90% closed then dry pack....

my hen has a deep puncture where the skin was torn on her back - in a bit i will put a piece of very soft dry gauze in the corner to wick away nasties... then cover entire area with neo gauze patch cover... wrap body if she is moving - right now she is quite... and pray - and pray and pray -

there are ways to close wounds but its very important that you are 110% there is no infection or germs or you just sealed it inside and thats generally a 1-way road -

What is the best broad specrtum ORAL anitbiotic for hens?

btw
Hibiclens - can be bought anywhere is the best antibacterial viral out there -
surgeons are using it more and more exclusively
with the sick outbreaks of MRSA and other nasties we pick up out there get some!

our infectious Disease Doc suggests that everyone in the house uses it once a week on entire body to prevent MRSA or anything else
ALWAYS use it to scrub wounds old or new - Promotes healing! Very gentle yet powerful - use it on your hands before the hen - then on hte hens - flush really really well then use it again on your self
again walmart any pharmacy - cvs etc online etc

Back
Top Bottom