chicken attacked, has open wound under wing

Yes. I called the vet and she said to pour peroxide on the wound to clean it, then smear it with an antibiotic salve such as Neosporin. No bandage. We put Neosporin on the wound several times. We brought the hen in the house and put her in a large wire dog crate lined with newspaper. We kept her there for about two weeks, changing the paper often and feeding her normally. We didn't check on the wound every day, but let nature take its course. We eventually put the crate near the other chickens in the daytime with a fence between them. We could tell that she really missed being with them. After about two weeks we put her back with the others and watched to see that they didn't peck at her. They didn't, and pretty soon she was one of the gang again. Now she's laying eggs just like the others.

The vet did tell us that if she was suffering to put her out of her misery, but she never seemed to be in pain. She didn't have bone exposed, though, just a large area with no feathers or skin under her wing, plus a puncture wound.

The vet said she could prescribe oral antibiotics but that we shouldn't eat the eggs, so we decided not to go that route. How would we tell which hen laid the forbidden eggs?

Good luck with your problem. How did it happen? Our Eskimo spitz did this to our hen. Our vet helped us find her a new home and we adopted a Great Pyrenees. He keeps hawks away and doesn't bother the chickens.

My neighbors dogs did this i had them outside in an extra large wire dog crate and they must have came down and got him somehow its bad the bone is exposed no more flight feathers left.

I would be very angry that your neighbor's dog was loose and did this. You might want to take the hen to a vet and have the neighbor pay the bill. If the chicken dies, I'd ask the neighbor to pay for another one of similar age and breed.

In some places it's against the law to allow dogs to run loose. I'd check on that if I were you. I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control and have a loose dog picked up. Then I'd call the dog's owner and tell her where he is. I had a loose dog get into my goat pen once. Luckily the buck protected the does. I knew the dog's owner, called her, and she came right over, apologizing profusely. I never saw the dog roaming again.

I am very very angry. We do have a lease law here i didnt see them do it but they are always on my yard. I did catch them a week ago harassing the chickens no body was hurt because I seen them right away. I haven't confronted them yet.

[/IMG]Uh oh. I am caring for 3 hens that survived an attack by a bobcat (one didn't) and by the time I noticed the wounds, they were packed tight with dirt. The claw wounds were extremely deep and I cleaned all dirt and feathers from area with peroxide and purified water but then I messed up. I have been applying Neosporin +pain relief to these animals for the past week. Not my birds, but couldn't not try and help them after the owner refused to put them down. Please Help me, help them. I have been "packing" the huge wounds full of neosporin

Last edited:
Thats all i did for mine i just kept it clean and put triple antibiotic ointment on him for a few days but let it be after. It healed up fine his feathers are starting to come back on his wing now. He can fly a little bit now to.

I know this is an old thread that I'm bringing up but those of you dealing with puncture wounds and bald spots from the roosters, which is common, they do make wonderful back protector aprons or saddles as they're called. I have tried many and found the best ones here....crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/hen-saver-hen-apron-saddle-made-in-USA/ Our big cochins take the biggest they offer.... xxxL ::) They really have been a God send for us. My girls would all be suffering with big open wounds without them. They have to wear them all summer...then they are removed for winter

I had a roo taken out this week and wasn't sure what it was so I moved my trail cam to investigate. I got photos of a coon and an oppossum. However, last night, I got photos of the coon again actually INSIDE my coop (going to have to take a serious look at that today and fix) and now I have a hen with what looks to be a pretty serious wound on the left side of her head. I'm off to the store to get peroxide, iodine and some ointment but..... how do I clean on her head with the peroxide? Is it safe or damaging to the eyes?

One of my 9 week old chicks got attacked by a Big 4 days ago and the back of her head is absolutely bald...no feathers or skin. Just muscle or tissue. So far, I've been irrigating with 50/50 Betadine (going to further dilute) with a 30cc syringe (no needle). I've been taking a couple paper towels and folding them several times lengthwise then draping it around her neck to absorb the run-off. When the liquid gets too close to the top of her head, she'll shake her head hard (wear an old shirt and apron you don't care about) and the liquid goes flying EVERYWHERE. Other than just at the top, she doesn't mind the irrigation at all. So far, we've been able to avoid her eyes.

What we do for our girls!

Forgot to add...a friend recommended using puppy pads when starting chicks so I had some on hand. When my Little got injured, I put the puppy pads in the bottom of her box instead of pine shavings and it is working really well. I'm changing it once a day. They are available at Walmart for $10-$20, depending on size and quantity per package. They may well be available elsewhere for a better price but this is where she went and online prices were higher so I just went with this... Next time I get chicks, I'm using these instead of pine shavings. No more pine shavings in the water!

Back
Top Bottom