Chicken Attacked! Help!

Thank you!!! I appreciate it. I feel like after I see the vet and get antibiotics that I can let the area breathe more I just don’t want it to get infected between now and then. Especially with muddy and wet conditions due to snow.
From what I have experienced so far chicken wounds like this heal up very well and aren’t overly prone to infection.

I had some similar wound issues with a large rooster accidentally tearing open his girls backs. (He’s really gentle, just super big, inexperienced, and his girls weren’t really “into him” at first), and with one of my rescues who survived a raccoon attack, but her flock mates turned cannibal and wouldn’t let the wound close, so she was given to me to rehabilitate. As long as you can keep it from reopening or opening further it will heal. I mostly just leave them alone aside from the antibiotic ointment. You have a vet though, and they might be able to close up the wound better with sutures or by another method. Keeping it as clean as possible and covered with the ointment until your appointment won’t hurt. Looking forward to hearing an update as well.

From what I have experienced so far chicken wounds like this heal up very well and aren’t overly prone to infection.

I had some similar wound issues with a large rooster accidentally tearing open his girls backs. (He’s really gentle, just super big, inexperienced, and his girls weren’t really “into him” at first), and with one of my rescues who survived a raccoon attack, but her flock mates turned cannibal and wouldn’t let the wound close, so she was given to me to rehabilitate. As long as you can keep it from reopening or opening further it will heal. I mostly just leave them alone aside from the antibiotic ointment. You have a vet though, and they might be able to close up the wound better with sutures or by another method. Keeping it as clean as possible and covered with the ointment until your appointment won’t hurt. Looking forward to hearing an update as well.
Thank you so much! I appreciate the all the information. I’ll post an update tonight after the vet.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the all the information. I’ll post an update tonight after the vet.
Update on Gretchen:
Vet said I did a great job cleaning out the wound. They were able to give her light sedation and sew her wound. They are sending her home with antibiotics and some pain relief medicine. Thank you all for your help.

Update on Gretchen:
Vet said I did a great job cleaning out the wound. They were able to give her light sedation and sew her wound. They are sending her home with antibiotics and some pain relief medicine. Thank you all for your help.

Update on Gretchen:
Excellent! I am very glad you have access to a vet who will work on chickens. Although she probably would have been ‘ok’ without the sutures (I’m sure someone will eventually say something to this effect, because... internet), having the wound closed up will help her heal much faster.

Excellent! I am very glad you have access to a vet who will work on chickens. Although she probably would have been ‘ok’ without the sutures (I’m sure someone will eventually say something to this effect, because... internet), having the wound closed up will help her heal much faster.
Honestly, I love my chickens. People can say whatever they want but I’m a good chicken mama! Plus it only cost me 65.00 WELL WORTH THE PRICE

Attachments

• 2C2706E2-FB7C-4C31-925C-7BD27498663D.jpeg
    2C2706E2-FB7C-4C31-925C-7BD27498663D.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom