Chicken Attacked! Help!

Chickens5433

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2020
D22C2A9F-E9DC-4FB9-9EAC-68E18EBEA5F5.jpeg

My chicken was attacked tonight by my dog. She has some tail feathers ripped out. Her injury is located directly above her tail. The feathers are gone, the skin is removed. I can see what almost looks like yellow fat.

I isolated her from the other chickens, applied a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to clean the wound and then applied neosporin. I ordered some animal bandage spray but it won’t be here until Saturday.

We are in the middle of a snow storm here so I did the best I could tonight. I am going to take her in to the vet tomorrow for possible stitches and antibiotics but any help or suggestions in the meantime would help.

I am so afraid she’s going to die Gretchen is my favorite chicken and I love her so much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• 7B4E969C-E141-4FF3-8AAF-18A8A104ED49.jpeg
    7B4E969C-E141-4FF3-8AAF-18A8A104ED49.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 16
Don’t use peroxide anymore, since it can damage tissue. 2% Chlorhexidene, weak betadine, saline, or a wound spray, such as Vetericyn or Theracyn with hydrogel are all good to use on the wound. Apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day to the wound. She she heal fine eventually. I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water but leave her inside the coop with her flock.

Do exactly what you’re doing... make sure the neosporin does NOT contain painkiller. Keep her isolated from the flock for the night in a small crate where she can’t move around much.
Okay thank you so much I appreciate the input! I set up a security camera so it detects motion so I will be able to monitor her actions throughout the evening.

Don’t use peroxide anymore, since it can damage tissue. 2% Chlorhexidene, weak betadine, saline, or a wound spray, such as Vetericyn or Theracyn with hydrogel are all good to use on the wound. Apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day to the wound. She she heal fine eventually. I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water but leave her inside the coop with her flock.
Okay thank you. The only thing I was afraid for was risk of infection with her being in the coop and all of the dust and poop.
I placed a bandage on the wound. For reference it’s about the size of a half dollar. I was going to monitor her and two weeks and give her time to recoup before placing her back inside my coop in a cage. I have four little ones out there now trying to get adjusted. I was able to get her to eat some hot oatmeal. Spinach and mealworms and I was able to get her to drink a decent amount of water

Attachments

• F359104A-C13B-4A95-A938-0D768FEF1247.jpeg
    F359104A-C13B-4A95-A938-0D768FEF1247.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 13
  • CC2F2FA6-70A3-48CB-8DFC-409DA1C63E83.jpeg
    CC2F2FA6-70A3-48CB-8DFC-409DA1C63E83.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 10
Yes, the dust and dirt in the coop can be a concern, but I would let her have time with them in a day or two every day, to keep everyone familiar with her. Sometimes removing a chicken from the flock for more than 5 days or so, will cause some pecking order problems, but not in every case. Use your good judgement.

Last edited:
I personally keep injured ones in the house BUT mine have infinite room to re-work out their pecking order situation so ^^definitely do what you think is best for you. If keeping her inside calms YOUR nerves more than the stress of reintegration, then by all means leave her inside. :) I prefer inside because then I check on them a zillion times a day and it calms ME.

I don't have access to an avian vet so I would likely close the wound on my own and keep it clean and covered with triple antibiotic. I have lots of oral antibiotics from various people and animals not finishing the full course, so if I decided that was needed, I do tend to be able to give antibiotics without a vet. (Of course after doing research to see what is chicken safe, dosage and egg withdrawal if shes a layer.) BUT if shes your favorite, the vet is probably a better plan. :)

Back
Top Bottom