Chicken attacks Pit Bull "Caution-Pics"

Hey, it's no big deal...like I said, the beauty of a mixed breed is that he can be whatever you want him to be!

Pits typically have low arousal thresholds--they fly off the handle with little provocation, and I don't mean it's always aggressive, just very easily overaroused--and your boy sounds very mellow (i.e., not at all pit-like). That's a good thing, no matter what breed/breeds he is!
clap.gif

Here's a pic (though not a good one) with my GLW boy at the top. It's a little dark, so you can't see the lacing or his stripey little head. He could be your hen's twin.
big_smile.png
I have a little GLW girl, too, but I don't have any recent pictures of her. She's a bit of a punk and doesn't ever want to be touched! She's in this pic too, on the far right looking over her shoulder.

100_0520.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't guess him to have much pit in him either. He is very cute and sweet looking. We had a pit mix when we lived in Phoenix. She was 1/2 pit and 1/2 Greyhound. I know, BIZARRE parentage, but she really pulled more pit.

Short in the shoulders, with heavy muscle tone, wide set shoulders as well. More of a boxy head, also.

She was the most wonderful dog we've ever had. I was *so* sad when we had to rehome her to move back East. She was much smarter than the dipwad Border Collie / Springer Spaniel mix we have now.
roll.png

Jess

HPIM0159.jpg
does this look like a chicken that would hurt a pit bull I think not your giving campines a bad name

Picture012.jpg

here is a picture of my dobermin keeping an eye on the birds you need to teach them young that the dogs are nice or they will beat up the dogs every time, like you said once a bird gets that KILLER instinct nothing is safe
tongue.png

AgilityScots - Great pics - Thanks - Yup they're almost identicle.

mdbucks -
yuckyuck.gif
- Those birds look like they want to eat your Doby.
Please be careful.
tongue.png

Beautiful Camine - Wow
Oh, is that a Doberman Retriever or a Doberman Spaniel?

Quote:
People have strong opinions about dogs and chickens here. Everyone means well.
I'm pro dog-chicken. It's the terriers and bird dogs that scare me, not the
herding dogs. You gotta see my hound mutt round the chickens up into the coop.
I'm gonna video it soon but if I post it I think people will get very mad at me.

P.S. Your dog and Campine match.
tongue.png

P.S. Your dog and Campine match.

Everyone should match their dog to their chickens, right? Hey, I used to own a blue Doberman! Maybe that's why I have blue Ameraucanas and blue Orpingtons. Hey, many dog breeds can do okay with chickens with proper training, even the ones you wouldn't expect.​

We had a purebred English Setter (birddog) who had never been around chickens. When we got her from the rescue and brought her home, I was really worried about what she might do. She never once even went near our chickens. You could tell they walked all around her too by their footprints in the mud around her watering dish. Now our feist/mtn cur on the other hand....I don't think she meant to kill a chicken, I think the chicken was trying to take her food away.... She was otherwise a really good dog and barked when the chickens went to the neighbor's yard to let us know they were out of our yard
smile.png
. As long as they stayed in our yard, she was quiet
smile.png

speckledhen- I bet that was one BIG doberman are you sure it wasn't a Mastiff, I've seen the bird pictures

I have three dog the corgi, a lab, and a spaniel mutt They have been outside with the chickens for hours at a time and never hurt one, however you better not be anything else and want to get near THIER birds, they scare off crows, bark at geese flying over, ground hogs.... when the chickens go in at night the dogs will sit by thier door till someone goes out to close up the coop, but I'm no dog expert, so mine probably shouldn't be around the chickens

We have the dumbest border collie / springer spaniel mix ON THE PLANET - seriously - and he's been trained to leave the chickens alone. When he was judged untrustworthy, he was watched carefully and chained until he learned no touchy chicky babies.

Now the hubby comes home tonight talking about this siberian husky / corgi mix he wants to get from a girl at work.
roll.png

I swear, he lays in wait for me to bring home another feathered critter to justify his need for more dogs, lol.

Jess

Back
Top Bottom