chicken bath (no pics.. :()

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
So I've read up on giving chickens baths.

So this morning when my hens lined up outside my back door for treats I tossed out a few grapes and picked up the white leghorn. I wrassled her over to the sink, put some warm water in it, a bit of dawn dish soap and started scrubbing her tummy, wings, neck and back.

She wasn't having any of it. The water was warm, not hot. I didn't get soap in her eyes, or pull her hair, but she didn't seem to enjoy it very much.

Then I took her out, wrapped a towel around her wings so she couldn't fly and carried her into the bedroom bathroom... right past my sleeping wife.

I plugged in the hair dryer and started drying her off. At first she didn't seem very pleased by the loud dryer but eventually settled down to the point that I didn't even have to keep a hand on her to prevent her from running away. She was plenty curious about the other hen in the mirror but seemed content to observe her surroundings. She cawed a few times as leghorns are prone to do.

While I was drying her tummy my wife yelled, "I SMELL BURNING!!!"

What could I do?

"No honey, I'm just blowdrying my chicken!"

Silence...

"Excuse me?"

"I'm blow-drying the white leghorn. I gave her a bath this morning, and I wanted to dry her out before I put her back outside."

More silence...

An eerie feeling crept over me as I sat on my knees blowdrying the white leghorn, who was standing up in the sink.

"Did you burn her feathers?"

"No. You just smelled dust when I blocked the back of the dryer."

"Oh, ok" she said, and went back to sleep.

Who knows what she was thinking... chicken bathroom bbq anyone?

lau.gif
That's hilarious! Though with a Leghorn, you're most likely to get a fried egg.

Back
Top Bottom