Chicken Beak injury- please help

australorp41

Chirping
Mar 18, 2013
Last night a raccoon got into my coop and attacked one of my chickens, the other two appear fine. It seems like he ripped off her comb and the top portion of her beak, I was wondering if anyone had an incident like this and what happened to their chicken. We have called the vet and are waiting to hear back. She has been taken inside to be cleaned off and seems to be in shock. Advice on cleaning and care is also helpful. Warning pictures are graphic

Attachments

• IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    570.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5671.jpeg
    IMG_5671.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 36
I’m sorry about that. The damage does look severe. If it helps, I am the type to never take my chickens to the vet. I just don’t have the money for it and would rather cull.

I am very sorry about the injury.
Yes, she is in shock. Pull her inside, make sure to use a damp only Q tip to clean the comb area. You can apply a little bit (dab)of Triple Antibiotic oint to the area.
The beak area is another issue. You will need to use a dropper to give her Nuti drench or any electrolytes to get her hydrated. Make sure No liquid gets into the nose vents. You may have to drop the liquid to the back of her throat. Keep her warm and quiet in a dark place.
You will need to set your alarm tonight every two hours to give her fluids.
@LaFleche
@rosemarythyme

This is very bad, poor thing.

As the beak is ripped up way into the very base I do not think that it will be possible to heal it or grow back. And the other bite wounds as far as seen on the pictures seem to have been caused by teeth penetrating her skull.
I would expect her to die anyway due to the severity of her injuries, but I would put her out of her misery to avoid more needless suffering.

I am sorry to not have any other advice for you.

I had my share of chickens with severe raccoon injuries and had to sadly cull almost all of them, as there was no real cure to the terrible damage these critters caused.

Back
Top Bottom