Chicken beak problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tylexie, May 20, 2017.

1. Tylexie

Tylexie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    One of my 11 week old chickens has a little bit of a beak problem. The beak is "split" at the end, so instead of coming to a point, it forks off into 2 ends. I don't know if this is a problem, or what do do about it. Please help!

P.S. she had a flat-ended beak as a chick... did that somehow lead to this problem?

Pictures of the beak:
    IMG_6359.PNG
    IMG_6356.JPG.jpeg

When she was a chick:
    IMG_5883.JPG.jpg

She looks pretty healthy, so it can't be causing her too many problems, right?:
    IMG_6288.JPG.jpeg

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I really don't know if you should leave it be or try to repair it:confused:

I would worry that it could split further. I did find this - it's interesting for sure, the OP said after a month it had grown out and they trimmed the excess - something you may want to look at https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-with-a-split-beak-solution.712638/

There are various ways to "repair" a beak that is broken, but a split would be difficult - here's one method of repair http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html

If you do decide to try some type of repair/treatment, please let us know what you did and how it works, it would be helpful to others.

3. Tylexie

Tylexie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Thanks! If I do decide to trim the beak, does anyone know how to do it? Should I trim both the top and the bottom, to keep them even, or just the split top? What should I use to trim it? How much should I trim? Is the split too long to be able to trim in one go?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure I don't hurt her if I trim it.

Last edited: May 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by