Chicken behavior observation

Sahraschweiss

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
Wildwood, Missouri
First time chicken person...

So I have a flock of 20 (19 pullets and 1 cockerel). So the cockerel crows. A lot. I don't mind too much. However, I have started to notice that when he gets to the point of getting on my nerves, one of the girls will hunker down and charge him like a defensive lineman going to sack the quarter back. They collide, and he chokes in mid crow. It's the funniest sound. After that he will be quiet for a couple of hours.

Anyone else have experienced something similar?

Usually males are dominant over females in general, but yours are still young. I've seen older hens go after young cockerel, but I haven't seen it in those the same age after they are a couple of months. Just curious what breeds are the tackler (pullet), and the tackled (cockerel)?

The cockerel is a little younger (5 months) and is a buff orpington that is very frisky with the girls. The ones that usually tackle are ones that he pounced on earlier and didn't take no for an answer. Grudge holders are:

Karen an ISA Brown -- low level bird; she is particularly vengeful if he jumps her when she's laying. He knows when he's pissed her off but it doesn't stop his hormones. That girl holds a grudge and will stock him and coordinate with other girls to get him cornered.

Whitney black sex link -- she is the number 2 lady in the flock and is an enforcer. When he first started jumping the girls she would knock him off the one that would scream. Once girls started submitting she let him be.

Blanche gold laced wyandotte -- low rank bird. She's huge and likes to chase him for entertainment. Oddly sometimes they cuddle at night.

Back
Top Bottom