chicken behavior question

moodybubbles

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Hi, I am fairly new to chicken raising. I got 10 chicks from the Tractor Supply in spring, but they were apparently broiler chickens because they got HUGE! All but the one rooster and the one hen that was Rhode Island Red, named Brownie, has died over the summer because of the Texas heat. The Rhode Island Red was laying every day, so now that is about time to cool down, I bought three more hens. 2 Aracaunas and one more Rhode Island Red. I got them from a guy with over 150 free ranging chickens. I built a 4X8 coop with a 12X8 attached run. The new hens have their beaks clipped and the one hen I had before doesn't have anything done to her beak. She seems to be the boss. The aracaunas won't come out of the coop at all, I was wondering if it might be because Brownie pecks at them or they are not used to being cooped up in a run? does a change of scenery affect them this much. They won't even go outside to eat! The rooster is fairly docile, he gets along with everybody. Besides he is so huge that he can't really bother any of them
smile.png

I can throw them out of the coop but they just run back in before I can even close the door.

Quote:
Can't really help you much, but this is what I had to do when we got the run finished, about 3 weeks after the coop. They were really suspicious of the opening in the wall, about 18" x 14". I would shoo them out and they would run back in as fast as they could
th.gif
They eventually figured it out
clap.gif

Linda

I didn't think of the door possibly being the problem. I will try throwing them out a few times a day. Thanks!

I agree I am a bit impatient
smile.png
I have the food outside, but since they won't go out, I have been giving them a couple of handfuls of layer pellets and corn chops inside. I don't know if they are so stupid as to stay inside and starve to death or it they would eventually go out to find food...

Back
Top Bottom