1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Behavior Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jul 4, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

A farmer friend of the family was making his rounds this morning hunting woodchucks and I happened to be out so I asked him in for a cup of coffee. His grandson Austin who’s two and a half and cute as a bugs ear was with him. Austin it turns out loves my chickens. Each time they drive by my house in the field he has to check them out. I love seeing this so I of course let him in the pen, the coop, etc.

Austin loves to feed the chickens. Let me restate that, he LOVES to feed the chickens. I have no idea why, but anything I can do to see a kid smile as much as he does, I’ll do it!!! Unfortunately I had just filled the feeder prior to them driving up. All the chickens had eaten from what I could see. Well, I’m not one to disappoint kids so we took a scoop of food out and threw it on the ground. WHOOSH!!! A hoard of chickens ran, flew, and sprinted over to eat. They were wolfing it down like they hadn’t been fed in a week.

I’ve seen this before where it looks as if they much prefer to pick and scratch their feed off the ground. Why is that?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    First ... chickens don't think they've been fed in a week! [​IMG]

Second ... I think chickens are part piggy. (I haven't been able to prove that yet but I'm working on it... [​IMG])

Third ...chickens love to put on a show...

Finally, and seriously, God made chickens to scratch around, helping to till up the earth. Chickens live to scratch around looking for their food. They get all frustrated when they can't get their feet in the feeder so, naturally, they love whatever they can find on the ground. It's just a chicken thing.

I'm sure someone here will have a better and much more scientific answer but ... that's mine.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I think chirpy did a good job of explaining it. I dont know about the putting on a show part or being part piggy. But they do have attention spans of about two seconds and the ground is the place to find food.

I put my 5 weekers in the pen for the first time today. They've seen nothing but wire since their 10th day on Earth. Within a minute they were scratching and digging for goodies.
    Scientific or not, Ill go with chirpy's comments.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I try giving mine treats and scratch as a treat...... they couldn't care less [​IMG] I wish mine would get all excited.

5. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I think they enjoy hunting for it on the ground because it's more fun. Eating from a feeder looks boring.

6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    they are geneticly designed to scratch and peck at the ground. Thet's how they live in the wild.

I dig little holes here and there, fill them with wild bird seed, and cover them over.

My birds LOVE to find the little treat filled treasure troves. If by chance they don't find one , the seeds sprout and they get fresh greens! win/win either way. [​IMG]

7. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by