Chicken behavior

Alicia113290

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Is this behavior at all normal? She’s walking around with her eyes closed. Barely perked up when I fed them but came over to investigate then went back to her spot to “sleep” never witness any behavior like this at al and boom she’s walking around with eyes closed barely moving. Help!

Attachments

• AF9C0128-C382-4D16-9AD9-582DDCB14C01.jpeg
    AF9C0128-C382-4D16-9AD9-582DDCB14C01.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 55F3495E-78EA-4A0D-9BBB-5196F6594DC8.jpeg
    55F3495E-78EA-4A0D-9BBB-5196F6594DC8.jpeg
    500.4 KB · Views: 11
How old is she?
Is she laying?

When I have a bird that is acting 'off'.....
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

How old is she?
Is she laying?

When I have a bird that is acting 'off'.....
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Thank you! This is exactly what I did and she seems better but I can’t figure out what caused this. She hasn’t started laying yet but they are on layer food and I’m wondering if that’s an issue? Only one of my six birds have started laying but I switched them all to this food fully about a week ago (was doing a mix of their old and new food for a week before that) she’s eating and drinking plenty on her own yesterday and today and haven’t gotten a close look at poop yet but looks normal from afar. No noticeable parasites, no sneezing or coughing. Just mainly the lethargy and keeping her eyes closed. Is it possible she just wasn’t getting enough food with the flock?

So you did crate her...for how long??
Did you check her belly and vent?
Her poops looked OK?

Starting layer feed 'early'(before they all are laying)is not a death sentence,
but the drop in protein can have an effect.
I doubt that would cause such sudden 'illness' tho.

So you did crate her...for how long??
Did you check her belly and vent?
Her poops looked OK?

Starting layer feed 'early'(before they all are laying)is not a death sentence,
but the drop in protein can have an effect.
I doubt that would cause such sudden 'illness' tho.
She’s been separated since 4pm yesterday when I first noticed this. Vent looked normal and poop looked okay. What would I be looking for on the belly? Checked yesterday for parasites or any “lumps” and didn’t see anything. She’s also eating and drinking water that I’ve added electrolytes to.

What would I be looking for on the belly?
Swelling, compare to other birds.

drinking water that I’ve added electrolytes to.
What kind of EL exactly?
Make sure she also has plain water at the same time.
Do not give EL constantly.

Is it hot where you live?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-7_7-51-45.png

I’d have to check the brand I got it from the feed store it’s a vitamin and electrolyte mix. I’ll add it thanks! I’m in Pittsburgh pa. Its been cooler the past few days actually.

Back
Top Bottom