1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by six_eclectic_chickens, Oct 2, 2011.

1. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    We have a five month old columbian wyandotte, Lacy that chases, and beats up cats. She (or he) is not the dominant bird, that would be Pepper, our barred rock. Lacy hasn't laid an egg or crowed yet and I was wondering if given the circumstances this might be a hen or rooster. The cats aren't lazy either and have attacked Pepper and chased our banty hen across the yard. Since Lacy has put them in place they haven't come back much. Another thing she does is fly up on chairs and other objects. I will try to get a picture on tomorrow.

2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    She could just be getting her own back. My hen Lucy HATES the neighbour's cat because it use to constantly tease her. Once Lucy got big enough - BAM - she pecked the cat right between the eyes. Once she even chased the cat over a fence! [​IMG] I think they kinda like rousing on each other now. So no, doesn't mean she's a rooster.

3. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Our cat, Archie, caught a bird. Our chicken, Gertrude, attacked Archie and got him to drop it. What a good chicken.

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We have three EE's who constantly surround our cat or run her off from where they are. The other chickens seem to ignore her, and she has never done anything to them. I think our cat is just curious, but the EE's won't have her near them. It's fascinating to observe the interaction, and I usually stay close because our cat does have her claws and is an excellent hunter.

5. six_eclectic_chickens

Oct 2, 2011
    [​IMG] Thanks all! Here's the picture of Lacy: boy or girl?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. Woodschick

Woodschick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    I think she is a beautiful girl.

7. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Looks like a very pretty pullet!

8. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    On a side note... Wow, that is a beautiful chicken! I am unfamiliar with Wyandottes. Are they all this pretty? Is it because she's Columbian that she has that striking contrast between the white body and the black tail/hackle feathers? I'd love to have a girl like this someday. [​IMG]

We have 7 girls and they all like to gang up on the semi-stray cat that hangs out in our yard. He runs away if they approach him in a group. If he's sleeping the chickens can step on him and he doesn't do a thing! [​IMG]

9. six_eclectic_chickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Thanks! And yes wyandottes are all pretty birds. We bought Lacy at a poultry swap in June and there were about ten to fifteen others besides her so they shouldn't be hard to obtain. Other types are silver laced and golden laced. I would definitly recomend them to anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by