Chicken behaviour

Tazaanddamo

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
Just a quick question we have 4 chickens 2 at 16 weeks and 2 at 13 weeks the older chicken are. Cruel to the younger ones and I think they stoping the younger chickens from feeding how can I fix this issue ??

They will eventually sort out their pecking order. You can let it work itself out as long as no blood is drawn. In the meantime, you might need to have two feeding stations.

sometimes occurences of stunting will happen if there's a bird that gets picked on. i would recommend that you isolate the younger ones because this will subject them to stress and since adults are hurting them it prevents them to eat and grow normally.

the birds that get picked on will experience stunting. act fast stunted growth is a bad thing to happen in your investment.

How long have they been together? I would do what Judy said, add more feeding stations and make sure there is plenty of room for everyone.

Well, there you have the 2 opposite ends of the spectrum for answers...

Sort of, haha! Every situation is different. You have to learn your flock, get a feel for what is going on, spend time watching their behavior, and just try to find the best answer for them. A period of separatin might be in order -- or maybe something like taking the little ones aside for a few minutes once or twice a day to feed in peace.

When we're new to chickens, the pecking in itself can be a bit alarming, then as you get more familiar, you see the difference between a mild peck and an attack or one that causes harm. In ttime you will get to know your individuals, just as you would a new puppy.

some people have had good luck with providing an area that the littles can get into, but the older ones are too big to get into. Maybe wire fencing with spacing big enough for the smallest, but too tight for the older ones. Or a crate raised off the ground just enough for the small ones to scuttle under, but too short for the big ones.

Or, slats spaced just so.....

The idea is to make sure the little ones can get away from the big ones safely.
It is an absolute must to have multiple water and feed stations because the older ones can and do prevent the smallest from eating and drinking.

You might want to research integrating chickens to see if you followed the best practices in putting them together. If you didn't, you can separate them and try again doing it a different way with what you learn when you read up on it

good luck!

If you have enough space and some hiding places for littles, they'll be fine. That's not that huge an age difference, and they're all still young enough to have a fluid social structure. Your older birds are doing what comes naturally, asserting their dominance. Being dominant means you eat first, and sometimes it means you protect the food from others. A second feeder spaced well away from the first works wonders.

Back
Top Bottom