Chicken being bullied :-(

kattfink

Songster
Jul 4, 2019
VIC, AUSTRALIA
This is the first time we have owned chickens. We have 2 reds of some kind and 2 bantoms. We got them from the same guy 1 day apart. One bantam "Lucy" gets constantly attacked by one of the reds. She is always by herself and has lost all feathers around her head, and i noticed a scratch below her eye today. The other 3 are always together and huddle up. The second she approaches, the red attacks her. My poor Lucy is the only one who lets us hold her. I'm scared she will be seriously injured. What should I do? If I isolate her will she be stressed?
Please help!

I would put the "bully" in a wire cage with food/water, put the cage in the coop for a few days. She remains part of the flock in "time out", see how the interaction with the others are at that point. Hopefully Lucy will then work herself in with the rest. If there's any exposed skin on Lucy's head, spray it with Blu Note to color it. Chickens love pecking at "red" or bright colored things.

You need to isolate her but keep in a cage within same coop, and run. When your Lucy recovers, try to see if she will integrate with the other 3.
You may also consider CHICKEN EYEGLASSES. for the attacker.
eyeglasses.PNG

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and:welcome

This is the first time we have owned chickens. We have 2 reds of some kind and 2 bantoms. We got them from the same guy 1 day apart. One bantam "Lucy" gets constantly attacked by one of the reds. She is always by herself and has lost all feathers around her head, and i noticed a scratch below her eye today. The other 3 are always together and huddle up. The second she approaches, the red attacks her. My poor Lucy is the only one who lets us hold her. I'm scared she will be seriously injured. What should I do? If I isolate her will she be stressed?
Please help!
How long have you had these birds?
How big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

A wire crate would be a big help, to isolate the injured and the bully in rotation.
Time for some Chicken Juggling.
Put the bully in the crate and see how the other 3 get along.
If that doesn't go well, might have to isolate the injured to protect and heal and reassess for the next step.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @kattfink
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
upload_2019-7-5_8-20-4.png

Red chickens and bantams are a disaster waiting to happen.
Red chickens tend to enjoy the company of other red chickens, really they are a tad racist and more than a bit bold and firey.
My advise would be to either only have the reds or the bantams in the coop but not both.
There is always going to be a low bird, in your setup likely it will be a bantam. Isolate one red and the other red takes top spot, bantams then fight for second position low bird will still be a bantam and things will still be ugly. :hmm

Red chickens and bantams are a disaster waiting to happen.
Red chickens tend to enjoy the company of other red chickens, really they are a tad racist and more than a bit bold and firey.
My advise would be to either only have the reds or the bantams in the coop but not both.
There is always going to be a low bird, in your setup likely it will be a bantam. Isolate one red and the other red takes top spot, bantams then fight for second position low bird will still be a bantam and things will still be ugly. :hmm
This ^^

Back
Top Bottom