Chicken bit by dog (Graphic Pixs)

StephanieD

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
My chicken was bit by our neighbors dog, ggrrrr. Here's a picture of her wounds. I applied peroxide and then sprayed "liquid bandage". It is starting to heal with blackish purple scabs. She has been kept in a crate on the porch allowing her out twice a day to stretch her legs and eat grass. She is wheezy when she coughs which is not constant. She had a cough for the last few weeks but now I notice it more, not sure if it's because she is isolated on the porch or if it's getting worse. I was given some TYLAN this evening to give her. Any other thoughts or ideas for her wounds? First time uploading pictures hopefully they are below!

82156_march2011chickenbutt_002.jpg

82156_march2011chickenbutt_003.jpg

Last edited:
Animals can heal from deep wounds, and that looks deep... definitely through both cutaneous layers and into fat tissue. Did it extend down to muscle or bone? If it did she would likely need antibiotics to ward off sepsis. The cough is worrisome... I'm not sure why an injured chicken would develop a cough. Good luck, and sorry.

This happened to my duck in almost the same exact area. In fact i didnt even know about it until i picked her up. I just let it be, it wasnt dirty. i just checked on it everyday. If you want to help her put some healing cream on it, gauze and if you have it, wrap it in hockey tape. Hockey tape doesnt come apart when it gets wet and it is very tough(i use it insdtead of ducttape) Chickens are pretty good healers and a thing like that isnt too big a deal, just took the skin off. I would bring her in for the coughing, wrap her in a towel and put her in a cage. She will most likely get better.

Might be a good idea to give her some tylan, I am not big on giving antibiotics but this injury probably caused her to loose some ground as far as immunity goes just from the trauma, so giving something to help her get over this is okay. just be sure to give her some really good probiotics like yogurt or kefir to keep the gut going good . also feed her plenty of extras like scrambled eggs, meal worms,cut up grapes. She'll most likely be fine chickens are amazing at healing. all the best and please keep us posted.. do you have her inside away from the rest of the flock, if not they will probably peck at that area and make it worse, I would either use spray iodine or blue-kote on the wound

Her feathers are starting to grow back! It's been exactly two weeks since the dog incident. I have let her rejoin the flock cause she was driving us all crazy on the back porch in her dog crate. She made noises I have never heard her make! So everyone is happier now.....

I'm so glad she's doing better! Looks like she was lucky, because the extend of her wounds could have been much worse. Hopefully your neighbor can keep the dog out of your yard!!! As for the cough, does your entire flock have it? Does she have any discharge coming from her nose or eyes?

Wow - that looks like a bad one; glad you were able to rescue her from the dog.

Tylan is specifically for respiratory illness, which obviously this is not; if she's expressing respiratory symptoms, you're dealing with something else. Does she have any discharge from nostrils or eyes?

She is the ONLY one with a cough. She's had it for weeks now..... she was on Tylan for 3 days. Still coughing..... but no discharge from nose. Eyes seems a little watery BUT maybe they have always been. I have no idea how old she is. She was laying about 2-3 eggs per week till the dog event.

Back
Top Bottom