Chicken bit in the Butt by a Dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Maine Chicken Mama, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Maine Chicken Mama

Maine Chicken Mama New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! My chicken was attacked by a dog just an hour ago. The dog bit her in the butt and pulled out lots of feathers. It looks like a slight tear in the area along with light bleeding and oozing. The area is swollen too. She is in the coop now with my other 2 while I try to figure out what to do. Thanks.

Also, I'm trying to move this thread to emergencies but can't figure out how to do that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    my first advice: TAKE HER AWAY FROM THE OTHER BIRDS! when a bird is bleeding, no matter how sweet the other birds are, they will peck at the wound brutally! I suggest you isolate her from the other birds and sanitize the wound as soon as possible, dogs have filthy mouths and that poses the problem of infection. After she is in a clean isolated area just make sure that she doesn't peck at herself! that's about all you can do and it will heal it self, I had a friend who had her chickens back torn open by a cat, she cleaned it and let it be and it healed within two weeks. keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by