Chicken blankets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kkowa, Oct 25, 2013.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    so its getting cold up here in Wisconsin and I want to make my birds some blankets that can be on all the time though will come off to washed ect. just because it gets so cold I thought this would be a great idea.... so next step is to get a design going what would be the best design and I plan on using two different kinds of fabric. one will be fleece to help keep them warm this will be under them and then a polyester type fabric that I will then water proof. at the end I will water proof all the seams now I just need the plan if anyone has any ideas let me know pleas!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. BrahmaMama2

BrahmaMama2 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Luck, Wisconsin
    I agree. No blankets needed and I live in Northern Wisconsin

4. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    im not only thinking for warmth im thinking to keep them clean as they are my show birds so I want to keep them clean and there combs from freezing

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think the blankets would be cumbersome for them to move around in and could possibly cause harm if they get hung up on something. I don't show birds, so I have to ask - why can't you just wash them when it's time to show them? And their combs - were you planning on putting hoods on the blankets? Keeping your coop well ventilated and as moisture-free as possible would be a much healthier option, I would think.

6. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    Because most of my birds are white and they are so hard to keep clean as I don't want to keep them locked up

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The best frostbite prevention is a well ventilated, draft free coop that allows the humidity whch they produce to escape. A wide roost also helps, so they can cover their feet with their bodies well. Some people put Vaseline on combs in severe weather. I have read here that people bathe a chicken, especially white ones, for showing. The article linked below was written by a Canadian

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

8. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    Yes i do bath them it's just the fact that the get mud and everything else on them this time of year and our coop is well ventilated so I don't have to worry about that

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Your thought is commendable, however I would advise against it as it might hold moisture in against the bird, and cause more problems than it solves. They'll be fine.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's unrealistic to allow them to run loose and expect them to stay clean.
    You can have one, but not both

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by