Chicken bleeding

Mayochick

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, I have a one year old chicken. She has been really hurt and I have no idea how. No signs of predators either. I have 7 other chickens and never once have they ever been aggressive like that I’ve never seen any bulling in my flock. They all grew up together. Please help me on what you think is the best way of helping her. My first thought where putting her down cause she looks really bad and I’ve never been in this situation before. Here are some photos. She is not dead, but she is suffering and she still eats when I give her food.

Hello, I have a one year old chicken. She has been really hurt and I have no idea how. No signs of predators either. I have 7 other chickens and never once have they ever been aggressive like that I’ve never seen any bulling in my flock. They all grew up together. Please help me on what you think is the best way of helping her. My first thought where putting her down cause she looks really bad and I’ve never been in this situation before. Here are some photos. She is not dead, but she is suffering and she still eats when I give her food.
I would add a photo of her but it’s not letting me. Pretty much the back of her head is swollen and her feathers are plucked off and there’s blood on the top of her head

Are you able to see the photos?
No. Try attaching the files again then pressing the insert into post button.

It's a good sign she is still eating. Chickens are surprisingly resilient. They can recover from bad injuries with little help (though I'd recommend helping as much as you can, of course!).

No. Try attaching the files again then pressing the insert into post button.

It's a good sign she is still eating. Chickens are surprisingly resilient. They can recover from bad injuries with little help (though I'd recommend helping as much as you can, of course!).
She’s doing good with eating, and drinking I took her in with me so she’s not with the flock, and I’m using vetrx for her skin, and also a spray I bought for her for skin injuries. Ok it let me put the pictures. I also did my best to clean up the blood.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpeg
    IMG_0349.jpeg
    823.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 9
She should heal from that injury if her brain was not injured. That is a common site of injury from a rooster pecking a hen, especially if she will not allow him to mate or he doesn’t like her. Do you have a rooster or just hens? Saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn are good for cleaning the wound. Then apply Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment twice a day until she heals. Make sure that she will eat and drink for you.

She should heal from that injury if her brain was not injured. That is a common site of injury from a rooster pecking a hen, especially if she will not allow him to mate or he doesn’t like her. Do you have a rooster or just hens? Saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn are good for cleaning the wound. Then apply Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment twice a day until she heals. Make sure that she will eat and drink for you.
Okay I’ll buy that for her. No I have no roosters. I have 7 other hens, and I found out which one attacked her. It’s so weird cause she’s never attacked so aggressively before and they all grew up together, no new flock. She also recently has been limping on her right foot I’m not sure why. She still try’s her best to walk, but I checked and there’s nothing on her foot like bumble foot.

How does she lie on the ground? I would watch her for signs of Mareks. The way she is walking might be an injury, a vitamin deficiency, but Mareks can look like that. The way she is walking could have been why the hen attacked her. They tend to do that when a chicken acts different or has trouble walking. Let us know how she gets along, and make sure that she is getting enough water and food. B complex vitamins can sometimes be helpful.

How does she lie on the ground? I would watch her for signs of Mareks. The way she is walking might be an injury, a vitamin deficiency, but Mareks can look like that. The way she is walking could have been why the hen attacked her. They tend to do that when a chicken acts different or has trouble walking. Let us know how she gets along, and make sure that she is getting enough water and food. B complex vitamins can sometimes be helpful.
She lays on the ground like normal she doesn’t struggle to get up, it just looks like her right leg is bothering her, but this was before she got attacked on the head, and then the next day in the morning she was attacked. She does still eat and drink good and she finally pooped and it looks pretty solid to me, but I’m not sure the difference between a good poop and a bad one. I did put some Neosporin/triple antibiotic on her head this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom