chicken blind+

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dc0145a, Mar 26, 2008.

1. dc0145a

dc0145a New Egg

Nov 29, 2007
    I have a 1 year old hen that appears to have gone blind. She is finding the food dish okay and drinks.
    However, she does bump into things around her.
    I can put my hand up to her eyes and it's like I'm not even there. [​IMG]

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    well,,,,,,,,she drinks and eats!!!! but make sure no ones being a bully [​IMG]

WELCOME!!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have one like that too. We are going to make her a little coop and run area of her own, she falls off the roost and is afraid to walk down the ramp. She will have her own feed dish and water and a cozy safe spot. I just need to find a friend to put with her so she won't feel lonely.

Good luck with your special girl.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You may want to email or PM Southern28Chick (Tricia). She has a blind hen (Blind Tiny) that has done wonderfully under her care. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to help you with your bird.

5. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    are her eyes open or shut? do her eyes look different? I had a hen who got sick and her eyes stuck shut, but she was walking around and eating until I caught her and fixed her up. They have really good senses!

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    good luck with your chicken
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    My little Pip Squeak is blind too. She doesn't seem to have any problems eating or drinking. My daughter makes sure that no one picks on her as well as our Roo Rudy. He seems to know. But good luck with you hen.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
  9. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    We had a blind hen, Helen, who was just getting picked on too much, so we gave her away...after looking for weeks for a new home. If you do make her that ADA coop, consider a bunny for her cellmate.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by