1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

...chicken bowling anyone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frog522, Dec 10, 2010.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    this morning I opened the human door to the coop and one of my girls thought she could get by me. i pushed her back into the coop with my hand. she tried again and again...5 times. I was mildly amused that she didn't get the message I wasn't letting her out. It felt like I was bowling with a big ball of chicken. [​IMG]

no chickens were hurt in this message. chickens sure are insistent critters...

anyone else have their own chicken-bowling experience?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Yes I have a few chickens like that! After a few days of being locked in due to snow and freezing temp. you would think they would learn... Nope they try to get past me each time I open the coop door. gotta love their short memory brains..[​IMG]

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I was so tired of "Chicken bowling" every time I opened the run door to give the girls some treats, that I built a "treat door." This helps avoid the wild dash for freedom when giving treats, but doesn't help when I have to refill the waterer or the feeder.
    [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't lock them in, even up north. If they want out, why not?

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    My friend made up a game that actually is bowling. In the summer, the apples on our tree grow. He made the game of picking an apple then rolling towards the flock. They all scatter, but then go back and eat their "attacker"

6. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I did have a hen come racing out of the coop and knocked the roo up in the air. Poor thing flipped and rolled a few times.LOL Took him a minute or two to get his dignity back .

7. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Same thing happened this morning. They all wanted out,but we were going to be away for a few hours. They needed to stay in and lay me some eggs.We've had so much snow lately and it's finally melting down a bit, I think they are getting cabin fever and want out in the yard.

8. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Chicken Soccer count?

9. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    The only bowling around my flock is from my cockerel.

A friend and I order 25 RIRs and split them, from day old chicks. Out of my half, it never failed that each and every time there were several in the corner of the brooder huddled up sleeping, one would fly/run across right into the middle of them. As they grew up, I realized that it was the Roo, now closing in on 5 months. About time he started trying to crow (about a month ago) he finally stopped playing bowling bowl. He still tries to chase them around, but between me and Vic (RIR/Maran, 1yr old) keeping him inline isn't too difficult. Of course now he thinks he's big enough to play with Vic, but that ends with him lowering his head and backing away slowly.

10. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    We herd ours with hockey sticks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by