Nicole Zimmerman

Hatching
Jan 14, 2018
PLEASE HELP! My chicken is breathing funny and not eating or drinking hardly anything any idea on what it is and how to cure? I also was dealing with her prolapse the past few days with little blood I’m guessing to the breathing issue causing pressure on her bottom. See this video for visual

Last edited:
Hi @Nicole Zimmerman

I'm sorry about your hen.
She is in distress and having a hard time breathing. Can you take her to a vet?
I understand you said she has a prolapse, but do you see or feel an egg that might be stuck?

Is she pooping at all?

With that much difficulty breathing, she won't be able to eat/drink. I'm not sure of the cause here. Is her crop full and squishy, just gently feel it by rubbing downward - you don't want to push up on the crop if it's full for fear of her aspirating.

She is not eating or drinking I have been giving her water by dropper. She is trying to poop but it’s no where near normal. I cannot see or feel and egg that may be stuck. I’m calling a vet tomorrow to get their opinion but wanted to check here as well. I’ve been keeping her bottom clean. She is sleeping so I’ll check her crop in the am. I’ve had chicken before and have never seen anything like this I feel so bad for her

I think @Wyorp Rock is concerned about the possibility that she could have aspirated some of the water (breathed it into her lungs), which is why she asked if the poor breathing started afterward. How long has this been going on? I hope the vet can help. I fear this is very hard on her and you may have to take desperate measures to save her. Is her abdomen bloated with fluid? This would indicate ascites, which can be caused by several different things and can put pressure on the lungs. If it is ascites, the vst may be able to drain the fluid to buy sone time to figure out what’s going on. I’m so sorry your poor sweetheart is going through this.

Yes I spoke with the Vet and they said that she will not make it and it is her time. Between the Breathing issue and the prolapse not getting any better we have to put her down. Not the outcome I was hoping for but I put a lot of effort into trying to save her. :-(

I'm so sorry.

It's good that you consulted your vet. I know it's difficult to make these decisions, but letting her go will end her suffering.
Thank you for letting us know.

Back
Top Bottom