Chicken breathing weird

hangman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
I have been hanging out here in the wings reading about all I can on chickens for several mounths now and about 2 months ago I took the plung and started a small flock. I have 3 BR hens and 1 RIR rooster all around 5-7 months of age. I did not get them as chicks, I actually got them from some one that started to raise chickens then changed thier mind. The hens have been laying 2-3 eggs a day and that is plenty for my family. They get all the of water and 16% layer and scratch feed plus other goodies that they can eat. There bedding is pine shavings. My problem is with just one of the hens.
Over the weekend I noticed her comb was getting a dull brownish red color and she started to make a gurgle type of noise. She does have the runs but she is eating and I belive drinking. I belive that she has stopped laying. She acts fine except for the gurgling noise. Some times she opens her mouth and does the gurgle. I have no idea what it could be. I treated them for lice and mites when I got them. The other birds seem fine and are still laying eggs.
Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
Has there been any change in diet or do you have any reason to believe this hen might have eaten something ( like onions or salty food) that is upsetting her crop and/or digestive system? The change in comb color is certainly an indicator of stress and reduced circulation and she may be in pain.

Could you please check her crop for abnormalities (gently) and describe her droppings?
Do her eyes look strained as though she is in pain?

She may have to be separated so be prepared to do that. Please observe her long enough to see if she is eating and drinking normally (I'm guessing not...)

We really don't have enough yet to know what is wrong!
cool.png

Last edited:
OK eyes are normal, eating is normal and I belive she is drinking. Her droppings are runny and there is no change in diet. I do give grapes and a cabbage once a week in thier run.
Now.. how do I check her crop??

Will she allow you to handle her?

If so, sit her on your lap away from the others and run your hand down her neck gently and see if her crop feels unusually mushy or impacted, such as with grit or ground oyster shells.

Does she gorge on anything, such as grapes? The skins can be sticky and the acid can get gushy in the crop. Is it possible she ingested some grape stems?

I have to leave, but I wanted to add that so far she seems to be coping. It's hard to tell if something respiratory might be starting. Keep a close eye and if you do not have any electrolytes, AviaCharge or Vet RX on hand, try to get some.

If you believe she may have something in the crop give her a little time and perhaps a small amount of bread soaked in olive oil to assist her, since she is eating. If you have any reason to believe she has something contagious, get her out so you can treat her properly and to protect the others.

Since these birds were not raised by you initially, they could be carrying something. Another bit of research that might help is 'gapeworm'.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...ID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=gapeworm&sa=Search#1069

Last edited:
Does she sound like a percolator when she breaths? When my chickens got a respitory infection their breathing sounded like the coffee percolators used in the old days.

Hope that is all that it is, my gals responded well to antibiotics...read about terramycin before you use, as I found out too late, it is not the best antiobiotic to use according to others on this BYC forum. And if you have to use antibiotics, follow the directions very carefully. (Don't eat eggs for up to 18 days after the last dose--according to antother BYC member.)

Good Luck!
Please let us all know what it is.

That sounds a lot like a condition one of my older hens has had on and off since for the past six months. Vet checked her out, put her on antibiotics, no change. Kept her inside during the winter, which seemed to help, but she's back to wheezing lately. She's eating and drinking normally, but her comb is floppy and a little dry, too. She sneezes sometimes, too, which makes me wonder if she has allergies or something.

Back
Top Bottom