1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Breed Focus - Aseel/Asil

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Nov 12, 2015.

1. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Are those birds Hyderabads?

2. NOEL LUM

NOEL LUM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2015
    CARTHAGE MS.
    I am interested in having about 4 or 5 to free range. would they be better for this than say some rirs ? I have had trouble with fox in the past and wondered how well aseels would handle them any input helpful

3. varidgerunner

Aug 16, 2013
    If you free range adult Asil females, they might get along for a while if they are siblings, but once they go broody and raise chicks they won't appear to know each other any more, and that can turn ugly. Get some RIR hens and an Asil cock. He will keep an eye on them and be a pleasure to have. No chicken is a match for a fox, but their instincts and alertness would give them an edge over most other birds. At the same time a fox would need to be really hungry to make it worth losing an eye to his dinner. He will most likely be met head on after the hens are told to go inside, if my bird's antics with my dogs are any indication.

Another peculiarity that makes them unsuitable for beginners, it is not as simple as putting a male with a female, if a female Asil does not think that a male is suitable, she will kill him, or at least re-arrange his face a little. So don't buy an Asil hen and try breeding your silkie to her, it probably will end poorly.

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i put cubalaya stags in with asil hens to teach them manners. they are much better cocks for it. when you breed a pair of asils the hen will always fight the cock. attention should be given to the maturity of both birds or you will have deaths. 1 to 2 years is best for hens although they will be good mothers for the rest of their lives. 18 months to 5 years is good for cocks. more pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

youngsters; note the pearl eyes, yellow legs, square shanks, and upright stance

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    While in the US "Hyderabads" is used to describe asil by a recognized color, in their original homeland, many asils are named as per location of origin, Hyderabad being a region of India. I simply refer to all of my asils as .. asils :)... I guess they could be called Kansa asil .

I would recommend the book "Oriental Gamefowl" by Horst Schmudde for those interested in any of the Oriental breeds.. great, informative book.

6. varidgerunner

Aug 16, 2013
    Your Kansas Asil are nice, Prariechicken. I like the Pumpkin. Like the American Games, it is easy to get caught up in names.

1 person likes this.
  7. NOEL LUM

NOEL LUM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2015
    CARTHAGE MS.
    If I wanted to get a male aseel where would I start looking?

8. varidgerunner

Aug 16, 2013
    If you searched this site or others like it I am sure you could find someone with one to offer. This is a good time of year to find them as people are whittling down their flocks for winter and spring and summer hatched birds will be needing to be penned. I will have some available but it will be a while before I can ship, I have done my pollurum testing, waiting on paperwork, need to be getting a few more eggs before I can get my AI testing done, shooting for spring. Cubalaya can ship you one if he has any to spare. Be prepared to pay more than feedstore chicken prices for any authentic Asil, they aren't all that easy to mass produce.

9. varidgerunner

Aug 16, 2013
    The good news is, if you do spend the money on one, they have the potential to live a long time, and with their easy to get along with attitude, they shouldn't need replacing.

It would be interesting to see someone devise an intelligence test for chickens. These things are pretty sharp, I have 5 foot square dome pens with welded wire, I drag them around to fresh ground. Most chickens you put in there you have to be careful because when you drag them around they will get a leg under the pen, or they will flip out and start flying against the wire. Not the Asil, they just walk up to the fresh grass and stay away from the sides. If you put them in a cage with swing in doors, they back up for you to open the door and then walk out. I see an overall low incidence of the stupid things that some chickens do, it's probably not really intelligence, more like they just don't get excited about things and end up in predicaments.

10. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    See this pic.!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by