Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

Pics
I think they're just referring to how big and red the combs and wattles are because girls don't usually have them so big but some do and if she's laying eggs then she's obviously a girl lol
Exactly! I wasn't meaning she was a cockerel, just that she seems to have a large comb, wattles, and that she doesn't look happy about having her picture taken. Occasionally, a female will take on the role of protector, and crow.

Exactly!  I wasn't meaning she was a cockerel, just that she seems to have a large comb, wattles, and that she doesn't look happy about having her picture taken.  Occasionally, a female will take on the role of protector, and crow. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Just sort of weird she's laying eggs because even if a female occasionally takes on the roll of protector, how often do you normally see such a huge comb and wattle on a girl?

Years and years ago I had two chickens. A Light Brama roo and a GLW hen. The roo got too aggressive and after I rehomed him the GLW started crowing. I added 3 BOs, but she never mingled and continued to crow. These Australoprs have never been around a rooster and the one that's crowing is definitely NOT roo material any way. She is the most skittish and definitely doesn't do any protecting of any kind. She's the first to run and hide if a butterfly overhead looks too formidable

Anyway.... The "crowing". How do I stop it? If it can't be stopped, and I rehome her, is another one going to start?

I think they're just referring to how big and red the combs and wattles are because girls don't usually have them so big but some do and if she's laying eggs then she's obviously a girl lol

I never questioned the sex. That's why I said my "pullet was crowing", but somebody else was obviously seeing something I wasn't. That was my question to them. The comb is big, but nothing that stands out as HUGE or anything. All of my hens have relatively the same size comb.

I never questioned the sex. That's why I said my "pullet was crowing", but somebody else was obviously seeing something I wasn't. That was my question to them. The comb is big, but nothing that stands out as HUGE or anything. All of my hens have relatively the same size comb.

No I know you weren't, I was just saying in general. The last sentence wasn't meant to be an attack, just agreeing with you and thought it was funny she was laying eggs despite looking and sounding like that. And I don't think they necessarily saw anything different than you, it's just usually they're smaller, especially in the breed, but if all yours have it then maybe that line has bigger combs and wattles or.something

No I know you weren't, I was just saying in general. The last sentence wasn't meant to be an attack, just agreeing with you and thought it was funny she was laying eggs despite looking and sounding like that. And I don't think they necessarily saw anything different than you, it's just usually they're smaller, especially in the breed, but if all yours have it then maybe that line has bigger combs and wattles or.something

Didn't mean to come across as defensive. Sorry. We have a brooder of 5 silkies and 7 Serama in the hatcher. We have 2 Sussex and 3 Australops all right at pol. We are allowed 10 hens total within city limits and need to decide who's staying pretty soon. They're all pets, and any decision is going to be difficult.
Maybe they're mixed with something. They're the only ones we have from a feed store, and you know how that goes. I had actually got half from a Australorp bin, and half from a GJ bin, but when I got home, I realized nobody had yellow feet. Idk if it was a mix up, or if they were just poor quality, but the big girl, is big. She looks identical to the other two, only noticeably larger and it seems like she's picking up speed with growing, where the others have slowed. Idk...

Didn't mean to come across as defensive. Sorry. We have a brooder of 5 silkies and 7 Serama in the hatcher. We have 2 Sussex and 3 Australops all right at pol. We are allowed 10 hens total within city limits and need to decide who's staying pretty soon. They're all pets, and any decision is going to be difficult.
Maybe they're mixed with something. They're the only ones we have from a feed store, and you know how that goes. I had actually got half from a Australorp bin, and half from a GJ bin, but when I got home, I realized nobody had yellow feet. Idk if it was a mix up, or if they were just poor quality, but the big girl, is big. She looks identical to the other two, only noticeably larger and it seems like she's picking up speed with growing, where the others have slowed. Idk...

No, no, don't be sorry! It's okay! i probably came off that way too. It's really hard, or even impossible, to be able to tell tone on the Internet and I also have this bad habit of adding lol, haha, ha, aha, that type.of thing, to the end of literally everything and it probably sounds sarcastic sometimes and/or makes me sound younger. Don't know why it started really, maybe cause I was afraid it would come off too serious or something ha (see, did it again) idk.

But anyway, wow that definitely is weird. it's possible they could be a mix or the one poor quality giants? Although I thought all of them even poor ones had tje yellow feet like you said. She could also just be a really big girl or maybe she's Orp? Though I thought they were sort of the same size or breed, just one's Australian. Who knows though. She could be anything. But whatever she is I'm sure she's pretty and will hopefully lay well. :)

Oh and also, oh wow, that definitely will be hard deciding. :( I wouldn't be able to do it probably, I grow too attached too fast haha how did you wind up with so many? And hopefully they can at least go to a nice home? Also wow, even 10 is sort of a lot for the city, usually it's like 3, 4, 6, something like that. It makes it nice for you though cause of course I think the smaller numbers are way too few but I don't know how they'd even fit in the middle ha wr have no limit here I don't think but I just ordered 8 (2 from 4 different breeds) and a free chick so 9 total unless they include peanuts. Also got them vaccinated and got grogel for a bit extra because I worry and requested an NPIP certificate because it was free and I figured why not? I'm not sure it's actually a certificate though, I think it might just be the form, not sure. I have no plans of breeding or anything and am not even getting a roo (unless, again, packing peanuts) but I may eventually and I figure it's good to have. So yeah. Sorry I'm rambling now

Back
Top Bottom