Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

I love everyone's pictures
smile.png

We have two BA that are just over a year now. At first they were extremely shy. They clung to each other and were terrified of the world. On top of it my leghorns can be bullies so they weren't helping any. During their first winter they really started to come around. They get along with the BO's really well and are always kind to newcomers. They don't want to be handled, but they'll follow along when I'm doing yard work or even just passing through. I would like to think I will always keep BA's with my BO's. They're all so sweet and good natured and I just love all their fluffy butts
big_smile.png

I can't share their pictures because they look terrible right now. There in the middle of a powerful molt and it wouldn't be fair to them to share them in sub-par form.

I love everyone's pictures
smile.png

We have two BA that are just over a year now. At first they were extremely shy. They clung to each other and were terrified of the world. On top of it my leghorns can be bullies so they weren't helping any. During their first winter they really started to come around. They get along with the BO's really well and are always kind to newcomers. They don't want to be handled, but they'll follow along when I'm doing yard work or even just passing through. I would like to think I will always keep BA's with my BO's. They're all so sweet and good natured and I just love all their fluffy butts
big_smile.png

I can't share their pictures because they look terrible right now. There in the middle of a powerful molt and it wouldn't be fair to them to share them in sub-par form.
BA's and BO's are both Orpingtons. Orps will ALWAYS be the best breed in my book.
big_smile.png

I am glad you are enjoying your birds! :)

I love my Black Australorps. They are somewhat aloof, but not overly so. They don't mind coming and sitting on me, but don't like it at first when I grab them to hold them, yet they settle down quickly, and enjoy it. They are very chatty when I'm around, but quiet when I'm not. They are intelligent, for a chicken, and pick up quickly on coop routines, yet adapt to changes easily, but not without first giving me an earful to let me know they are aware I've altered their routine. Each one has their own individual personality, yet they blend in together. Once pecking order is established, and they are settled as a flock, they get along very well. I've noticed no bullying, or squabbles, even over treats.

Black Australorps have an abundance of beautiful, soft feathers. While their feathers are resilient, they are a bit softer than most other breeds, and the abundance of them tends to hide initial damage to them done by the rooster(s). I have found that a "bachelor pad", or a few adequately sized cages to pen up the roosters occasionally, are essential in keeping the hens' feathers in top condition.

Mine lay a large, fairly light colored, pinkish brown egg almost daily. Their meat is pretty abundant, a good texture, with a rich, full flavor, however, somewhat darker than broiler chicken meat. Mine are not hatchery stock, so they are slower to develop. I have pretty much thrown out most of the timetables in regards to processing. Instead of just waiting for them to attain size only, I wait until they have developed a little further, and there is more overall definition. I find there is a better meat to bone ratio this way, and allowing the extra time doesn't seem to affect the tenderness.

I got two Australorps in my small flock of six hens, Toph and Clara.
This is Toph and she got her comb damaged on some fencing material. It healed up and is now part of her tough looks. She is in charge and takes care of most egg announcements.
And Clara is Tophs' right wing chicken. They do almost everything together and keep the other girls in line. I really enjoy having these two, they are tough and good diggers for bugs and worms.

One of my eggs hatched to reveal what appears to be an Australorp/Silkie mix....Buff Silkie cockerel over Australorp pullet. It's really cute, but still so small and newly hatched that it's hard to see details.

I got two Australorps in my small flock of six hens, Toph and Clara.
This is Toph and she got her comb damaged on some fencing material. It healed up and is now part of her tough looks. She is in charge and takes care of most egg announcements.

Oh, so sorry she got her comb damaged. But she sure is pretty!! AND she looks just like my flock leader Pearl!!

Back
Top Bottom