Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Jun 4, 2015.

1. lowflyer

lowflyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Mine are sweet natured and very docile. I did discover a cockerel amongst them awhile back, who was not as tame and gentle as the others, so I had to cull him.

Since then, there's been one more rooster that has made himself known, but he's not at all aggressive. The hens are very calm, and not quite as bold as the Golden Comets and Buff Orpingtons, or the Barred Rocks. They let the others investigate anything new, and only then venture after.

They do hang together, just like the Comets and Buffs keep to their own "clique". Now I understand the old saying, "Birds of a feather flock together"!

They are more "polite" and "ask" for treats rather than demanding them. If I'm giving out goodies, I have to distract the Comets and especially the Buffs, so they can get some too.They don't hop into my lap as often, but they follow me everywhere and patiently wait at my feet for treats. If I pick them up, they settle right down into my arms when I stroke their backs and necks.

Two of the hens are notably more curious and friendly than the others, they let me pick them up without so much as a squawk.

Roughly two months old when this was taken...Sarah, Letitia and Mary...up top is now named George, as he's obviously now a rooster. They're asking for fresh wiggly earthworms from the bucket.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. redwolfchickens

redwolfchickens New Egg

Jun 5, 2015
    Bought this black Orpington hen and she's showing signs of being a rooster. No crowing, but definitely is bigger than most of the other girls and seems to be the flock manager at times. The bird is just over three months old and it looks like saddle feathers are coming in. I was hoping that maybe there would be a black Australorp expert that could provide advise on what gender my bird is.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Post a pic here so we can have a look see! :)

4. redwolfchickens

redwolfchickens New Egg

Jun 5, 2015
    Here she is.[​IMG]

5. redwolfchickens

redwolfchickens New Egg

Jun 5, 2015
    And one more.

6. getaclue

getaclue Flock Master

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida