Chicken Breed Focus - Dominique

That long drive would not bother me at all. I will see you Wednesday?

Under other circumstances, I would enjoy such a ride. In fact, we are supposed to be helping a friend in Arizona learn to caponize but my dad is very ill now and we are all having to stay pretty close to the farm.
idunno.gif

Under other circumstances, I would enjoy such a ride. In fact, we are supposed to be helping a friend in Arizona learn to caponize but my dad is very ill now and we are all having to stay pretty close to the farm.
idunno.gif

Sorry to hear that, I had thought he was getting better. Best Wishes and prayers to him and the family.

Not a stupid question at all...  Castrated cockerels, allowed to mature, producing exquisite taste and texture in the bird.  Pullets have one ovary and they can neutered as well, creating a poularde...giving them the same qualities as the altered cockerel.

It is easy to have too many females and this is a good way to utilize them and add serious value to them.

Ahh okay! Thank you, that makes sense. I hadn't realized birds could be fixed. Dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, goats, even rats, yes, but somehow never thought about a chicken

I have 10 of them, 6 pullets and 4 cockerels(Love the breed). I purchased a straight run and got lucky with the 6 pullets. The question I have is: Do the cockerels ever have a hint of brown in their back feathers? They are 6 months old and have all the barred markings but with a hint of brown on their backs. The only reason I'm asking is I want to breed if they are pure to continue on the breed.

I have 10 of them, 6 pullets and 4 cockerels(Love the breed). I purchased a straight run and got lucky with the 6 pullets. The question I have is: Do the cockerels ever have a hint of brown in their back feathers? They are 6 months old and have all the barred markings but with a hint of brown on their backs. The only reason I'm asking is I want to breed if they are pure to continue on the breed.

As I recall the SOP, without looking it up, any brown is disqualification. Mine do not have anything but black and white.

Ok thanks. I guess I will just use the pullets for layers.

I opened the SOP book!

Disqualification is red or yellow in any part of the plumage.

The plumage section is longer it says "free from.... brownish tinge....metallic sheen...."

I was wrong to say it was a disqualifier, but what you call brown a judge or even I might call red or yellow...

Good idea to not breed them and use them as layers.

I just want to show off my (IMHO) best rooster. He is the one I plan to show next month, I wish he was 2 months older.

This picture was taken a month ago. He is in Show Bird Boot camp right now. He can not have visitors or pictures until after he completes boot camp.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom