Chicken Breed Focus - Dorking

Pics
I'm planning on getting some from IDEAL next spring (planning on 4 girls and 8 males, keep the girls and the best male and eat the other 7). Is there anything specific i should be prepared with them as chicks? Like extra fragility, or health problems?

No, they were like any other chick. I got them when they were old enough to be outside though (4 week's old), so I put them in my grow-out pen so that the bigger one's in my flock couldn't get to them. The one's that I have came from Murry McMurrys.

The other day I was taking some wet feed with the vitamin water out to them and when I open the coop door one of the Dorking pullet's ran out into the yard. She stopped right outside of the coop door though, so I lowered the bowl to arouse her curiosity and entice her to get back into the coop. It worked!

Im so excited to get mine next spring 😃

I'm already picking out a coop for my keepers to live in

Make sure the outside of it is secure, because these love to dig right by the sides of the coop and run. Everytime I go back out there I have to fill the hole's back in so something that might dig from the outside won't be able to meet them half way.

Does anyone have Dorking roos living in cold climate? I am concerned about frostbite even with excellent ventilation in my coop. I do not (will not) heat the coop but it is sheltered from prevailing winter winds.

Back
Top Bottom