Heritage RIR over Silver Dorking Hen

Itsacluckinconspiracy

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2023
Southern California
I have an excellent Heritage (exhibition) RIR roo that I am pleased with. He has a crooked toe but he is otherwise a very nice bird with an excellent demeanor with both my family, small children and his hens. My hens from this strain, while not production quantity layers are very consistent layers of lovely eggs in a volume I am satisfied with. They have excellent temperament and size for table. They are hardy and tolerated my scorching summer heat and don’t mind cold either.

I am considering adding Silver Dorking hens to the flock. I have not owned these birds yet, but it’s my understanding that they have good temperament and size and are decent layers but not excellent.

My goal is for a Sex-link chick that is a dual purpose layer, beautiful and also docile and easy to handle as a pet.

Does anyone have experience with this cross? I would love to see a photo of a resulting hatch and color pattern or info on how it turned out!

I have read on genetics and it seems my plan will work but I’m not really sure if I’m correct?

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    699.3 KB · Views: 19
I have not done the cross, nor do I own these breeds. But I can tell you, you are correct about the cross creating sexlinked chicks.

Males will hatch to be white in color, but grow up silver, or gold/silver split.

Females will hatch out to be orange, & just be gold, or red in color when they feather out.

That sounds like a fun cross. I agree with what MysteryChicken said, red columbian hens and golden columbian-look like silver with leakage- roosters. I’m not familiar with the behavior of dorkings, but it’ll likely serve the purpose you’re desiring, so long as you socialize the chicks. I’ve heard RIRs to be more aggressive, but if your rooster is a sweetheart, that’ll likely pass on.

Back
Top Bottom