Chicken Breed Focus - Faverolles

Pics
You can't blame her for not wanting to pass up the watermelon...nice picture @applebutter14 !

Food is a huge motivator for my faverolle. Grapes and mealworms are her favorites. My Fav does want to be close, between my feet (when she thinks mealworms will be delivered), on the garden swing snuggled to my hip, or even on my lap. I just can't touch her with my hands r she screams and flaps like a lunatic. This week she decided she loves my husband (he doesn't try to pet her). Every time he comes out and sits she is up on his shoulder for a long spell. I spend anywhere from 1 - 3 hours with them every day while they are out to free range the backyard.

Hello Chicken Folks!

Faverolles are one of my favorite breeds. I live in Central Maine so I chose my birds based on winter-hardiness. There is also a great Faverolles breeder not too far from where I live. I also like the color and shape of SF's. Their eggs are also pretty, appearing to many people as a pale pinkinsh-brown color, and thus, look very nice next to blue Ameraucana eggs as well as Marans eggs.

What made you decide to get this breed? I decided to get Faverolles because I liked the physical appearance of the breed (I find them CUTE!) Also, they are reportedly one of the more cold-hardy breeds, which I have found to be true. My rooster did get some frostbite on his comb, but I've never had a rooster who didn't get frostbite here in the frigid winters.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? I have a flock of laying birds, to keep for eggs for my family and selling fresh eggs on a small scale. I also sell vegetables on a small scale. Just for a bit of pocket money, but also because I love to garden and I love to keep birds.

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? Importantly, Faverolles are Winter hardy- also, they have a body type and general fluffy appearance which is "cute". They are also some of the cutest chicks I've ever had. They have extra fluffy cheeks and feathers down the legs, plus an extra toe. Unusual and very cute!

Males and females can be spotted easily when they are quite young- the male chicks will grow black feathers into the chest and neck, and the females will be a creamy white color there. I can usually tell within just a few weeks who's who.
·
Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Here are some SF eggs, they are considered "tinted" but many people see them as a pale pinkish brown. They are a medium size, so they make excellent eggs for breakfast sandwiches.

Rooster and hen, in the midst of winter. They do very well up through the -20's F. The hens lay eggs reliably all winter long.
The rooster that I have is easily the #1 best rooster in personality I have ever had. I never have to worry about turning my back on him. He is very calm and gentle, and quiet. He crows only a little bit around 6 am, then only when a car pulls into the driveway.

I got my Salmon Faverolles yesterday. The three of them are all very sweet to me and very kind to each other. They aren't very flighty (yet) and make the cutest noises! I got them for egg-laying and fun, with the possibility of showing and breeding. I have already fell in love with them. And I really love their beards and earmuffs.
tongue.png

These are some of my Samon Faverolles. I am located in Southeast Kansas. The top photo are a breeder group. The second photo is of some Samon Faverolles chick with a Langshan hen. The next photo is of 6 month old Samon Faverolles. I also have several breeds of chickens, turkeys, guineas, and Quail.

Back
Top Bottom