Chicken Breed Focus - Faverolles

Pics
Just as a bit of a side note:

I decided on a Faverolles Rooster for my flock due to the breeds reputation for mellowness.
I ran into a bit of a problem when raising my cockerel with only Australorp chicks ( his future flock ).
Henri always seems to take a stand back attitude and give way to the Austral hens even though he dominated the two Australs I'm pretty sure are cockerels.
At about 5 weeks he was looking depressed. Light weight, tail down and just a bit off ... Failure to thrive is the only way I can explain it. He's feathering out much slower too. I wasn't sure if he was sickening or what. I decided not to use meds because I had no way of knowing what was going on for sure.

Instead I remove him from the flock in the evenings and overnight him indoors. The change has been immediate. And very gratifying. His tail is up, he's chatty again and he eats like a little piggy. When there's nobody else pressing him for space he's thriving. A much healthier bird! He sure ate a lot at first! Like perhaps he wasn't getting enough before.

I think he was just out of his element with all the competition and probably would have weakened to the point of true illness had I not stepped in.

Just thought I'd say: if you have a mixed flock with Faverolles be sure to give the Faverolles chicks a helping hand if they need it. I'll be much rewarded by the intervention later on when he can hold his ground with his flock. Henri is a very pretty bird. He's going to add a lot of visual appeal to my backyard flock. And he's an absolute sweetheart :)

Good insight, its true even in an all Fav group that there may be individuals that are intimidated and can lose weight fast….I have to watch the boyz the most, think they are so careful that the ladies get their food they often don't eat enough or who knows. Any droopyness, or off appearance, combs graying out and do pick them up once in awhile to feel their condition.

My son's 3-month-old Salmons

@caboodleschicks My faverolle rooster is super sweet, he loves to be petted and treats his girls really good. He's sweet but he's still a real tough rooster, he's top of the pecking order and i have seen him put the other roosters in there place with his size. at less then 6 months hes way bigger then my buff orpington rooster.
Awesome to know. He sounds like a charmer! :)

Back
Top Bottom