Chicken Breed Focus - Faverolles

Pics
I have read about and am reading your wonderful thoughts about this breed, which is why I got them 💗 I have two 1-week-old SF from MyPetChicken and have a question about temperament...my two scream bloody murder any time I pick them up 😜 (I’ve always been very gentle), but are willing to stand for a few seconds for a belly rub ...is that typical? My other breeds (I have several) don’t do that, with the exception of the Black Copper Marans. I have been so excited about these girls (hoping they’re girls haha) since I ordered them in June and hope they even out and aren’t so scared of humans. Also, one is about twice the size as the other one 🤣 and is feathering out much quicker. I make sure the little one eats. They both hold their own against the other girls, which I’m glad to see! I’m new, so tell me like it is! Thanks in advance! Glad to be a part of this community!

I have read about and am reading your wonderful thoughts about this breed, which is why I got them 💗 I have two 1-week-old SF from MyPetChicken and have a question about temperament...my two scream bloody murder any time I pick them up 😜 (I’ve always been very gentle), but are willing to stand for a few seconds for a belly rub ...is that typical? My other breeds (I have several) don’t do that, with the exception of the Black Copper Marans. I have been so excited about these girls (hoping they’re girls haha) since I ordered them in June and hope they even out and aren’t so scared of humans. Also, one is about twice the size as the other one 🤣 and is feathering out much quicker. I make sure the little one eats. They both hold their own against the other girls, which I’m glad to see! I’m new, so tell me like it is! Thanks in advance! Glad to be a part of this community!
In my limited experience, the complaining is normal 😊 My girls are now almost 8 weeks old and still complain when I pick them up, but don't try to get away and always come right up to say hello and hang out with me. I think they just like to make a fuss 😄 I had one that was a bit behind the others in growth too, but she ate like a champ and never showed any other issues. Within the last couple weeks the difference has become almost non-existent, so hopefully it'll be the same for your little one. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in with advice, though!

My "runt", Patty Pan, who is really turning out to be a lovely, social, pretty girl!
00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200624162350314_COVER.jpg

My french salmon favorelle, Mama Rose, went broody and gave us 4 chicks. She is a fantastic mother. She just went broody again yesterday, and I want to find some pure breed hatching eggs to slide under her. Does anyone know where I get hatching eggs in a day or two ? Everywhere I find it is 10 days or more. looking for the salmon favorelles and french black copper marans.
Where are you located? I have a SF flock here in SW WA.

These are my first two Faverolles, one meeting my old Missy cat for the first time. This picture is awful, but I love the side eye the cat is giving. The hen has had a few names...currently Wormy since she comes running to "help" me whenever I work in the dirt around the yard.
IMAG1131.jpg

I'm nearly 100% sure you could buy some from Murray McMurray Hatchery.
smile.png
However, you'd have to get a bunch if they were to ship them.
I have a pair coming from Sugar Feather farm in a Vermont this fall. I live close enough to pick them up, but they also ship.

Where are you located? I have a SF flock here in SW WA.
I am from Seattle, but moved to Gulf Coast AL two decades ago. We are planning to move back soon, probably Eastern WA. Will you post pictures ? How many roosters do you have ?

Attachments

• Rose watching over her 1st clutch.jpg
    Rose watching over her 1st clutch.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Rose w baby chicks hiding.jpg
    Rose w baby chicks hiding.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Rose face.jpg
    Rose face.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom