Chicken Breed Focus - Fayoumi

So it looks like if I got EFs they would rule the roost. I just had a thought though. I have 3 coops and could put them in my farthest coop on my adjoining property.
Looking at YouTube videos of EFs with other breeds, it doesn't look like they are bullies in the sense that they would hurt other birds. People who have had them longer could say more about if they bully smaller or differently looking breeds, but I would say ours is more prickly and loud. Like the coworker or friend who is always in a bad mood and loudly complains about it instead of the playground bully that challenges the other kids to fight lol.

I say go for it and if you don't like them, rehome your EFs or put them in your third coop (which would also make them farther away from you = less screeching sound 😂 )

Looking at YouTube videos of EFs with other breeds, it doesn't look like they are bullies in the sense that they would hurt other birds. People who have had them longer could say more about if they bully smaller or differently looking breeds, but I would say ours is more prickly and loud. Like the coworker or friend who is always in a bad mood and loudly complains about it instead of the playground bully that challenges the other kids to fight lol.

I say go for it and if you don't like them, rehome your EFs or put them in your third coop (which would also make them farther away from you = less screeching sound 😂 )
That’s what I’m gonna do. Just move them farther away on the adjoining property if I can’t take the noise! Lol

-10 degrees here last night. Wind chills at -30 two nights ago.

EFs are doing great. One of my three hens was chasing a mouse around the coop today. I haven't let them out in almost a week and the coop has been getting cold enough to freeze water so it's COLD!

Another plus for EFs is that they are kick butt mousers. Mine are fierce. They will run one down and beat it to death before gulping it down. They especially are tough on baby mice.

The last time I made eggs for breakfast I told my husband they were Fayoumi eggs. He took a bite, said 'mmmmmm tastes like mouse!'. :lau

-10 degrees here last night. Wind chills at -30 two nights ago.

EFs are doing great. One of my three hens was chasing a mouse around the coop today. I haven't let them out in almost a week and the coop has been getting cold enough to freeze water so it's COLD!

Another plus for EFs is that they are kick butt mousers. Mine are fierce. They will run one down and beat it to death before gulping it down. They especially are tough on baby mice.

The last time I made eggs for breakfast I told my husband they were Fayoumi eggs. He took a bite, said 'mmmmmm tastes like mouse!'. :lau
I watch a video of a women saying her EF can kill a snake and ate it!

I wouldn't put it past them. These birds are really 'outside the box' when it comes to accepted chicken behavior. They are excellent foragers which I think means that if it can't run away from them, then it's on the menu.

Mine are sure death on mice and I've seen them with toads in their mouths before that they have managed to swallow down before I can chase them down and steal it away. Usually I stand there and watch them, silently wondering if that tidbit was toxic to them. When nobody stumbles a few steps and falls over I just shrug and go about my business.

They are just tough little birds.

I wouldn't put it past them. These birds are really 'outside the box' when it comes to accepted chicken behavior. They are excellent foragers which I think means that if it can't run away from them, then it's on the menu.

Mine are sure death on mice and I've seen them with toads in their mouths before that they have managed to swallow down before I can chase them down and steal it away. Usually I stand there and watch them, silently wondering if that tidbit was toxic to them. When nobody stumbles a few steps and falls over I just shrug and go about my business.

They are just tough little birds.
And that make me love them more. I love tough chickens.

And that make me love them more. I love tough chickens.
Me too. I like birds with a bit of spunk to them, which is why I have these Fayoumis along with my OEGBs and barnyard mixes that have Game Bird in them. Never a dull moment, and while my Fayoumis are loud mouths and not cuddly, they are definitely amusing.

I have a half Fayoumi, half barn yard mix rooster that seems to have usurped my Full Blooded Fayoumi rooster, Tut as flock master. Trouble is a very nice rooster but he ain't gonna cut it if I want pure bred Fayoumi eggs to hatch.

Tut has been occupying the roost bars and I don't think he noticed that I removed Trouble from the flock so I snuck up behind him and grabbed him by the legs before he could figure out what was going on. Talk about screaming. He puts the hens to shame. I put him on the floor and he looked around and was like 'OH! He's gone!' and started talking to the hens.

They are tough and definitely lovers not fighters, at least my rooster is.

@BleuSaphir and @microchick : Wow! I had no idea EFs would kill and eat snakes, toads, and mice (although I'm not surprised). Even though ours creeps me out (if I'm down in the coop and get an odd feeling, I know it's because Skinny Legend is peeping at me lol), is loud, and is a vagabond, we are really fond of her. She's a scrappy little thing and really entertaining 🙂.

Back
Top Bottom