Chicken Breed Focus - Fayoumi

This is Curly, she is the progeny of Wooly Booly hatched Jan 1st 2016 Still have her, and yes she is flighty, although we have held her since a chick and still do try to hold her.

Here is Wooly Booly, he was taken by coyotes in Dec 2015, however, it was a battle for him and 2 other of my top roosters I had at the time. Sure do miss him though.

Reviving this thread in hopes a few more EF owners will chime in...

My boyfriend desperately wants at least 6 of these in our upcoming order of 14 birds. ...He also wants Golden Campines, and I'm curious as to how they'll get along.

Mother-in-law has some of them, we just hatched some out that are crossed with silver spangled hamburgs and vice vesa, since both roosters mount each others hens. Will be interesting to see how they turn out, but they are very pretty birds. Might consider adding some to my flock in the future.

Very very interesting breed. Currently we have 1 adult hen - egg production is better than I expected - she’s laying about 5.5 eggs per week. We have 1 chick that we just received and have 2 more on order in April. The first one (Hattie, short for the female pharaoh Hatchepsut) is so interesting we decided to go for more. Not a lap chicken for sure but very funny noises, flies like an actual bird, and doesn’t take any **** from anyone.

Attachments

• ED6B91DE-E793-4A5D-8DD2-EA37D9FD9EB7.jpeg
    ED6B91DE-E793-4A5D-8DD2-EA37D9FD9EB7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Thanks for creating this thread! We got two EFs on a whim from McMurray Hatchery and they are now both 19 week old pullets. These are probably my least favorite breed. They are flighty, dinosaur-level LOUD, skittish, and mean (to people and to other chickens). They scream like crazy if I dare to touch them and peck treats out of my hands as though their beaks were weapons. If I'm in the yard and I get a creepy feeling, I know that if I turn around one of those "skinny legends" (what my daughters call them) will be eyeballing me.

Two days ago, one of them flew over a 6 ft fence and dropped down 10 ft into the neighbor's yard. I almost just pretended like I didn't know that and let her go off to live her cranky life. But I caved into pressure from my daughters, risked breaking my leg and getting shot at by the neighbor, and climbed down to retrieve her. Of course, she'd come nowhere near me, but I was able to scare her up onto the ladder and she popped back into the yard.

There's no way I'd get this breed again, but because I generally like aggressive, angry, independent and fierce girls, we will probably end up keeping them. The only upside of this breed imho is that they are absolutely beautiful and probably pretty alert and might let others know if there's a predator in the yard (the prehistoric sound they emit from their beaks would crack any animal's eardrum). Or they might just save themselves and watch with their malevolent beady eyes while a raccoon picks off one of their sweet, unsuspecting, non-EF sisters.

Attachments

• IMG_6457.jpeg
    IMG_6457.jpeg
    501.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7197.jpeg
    IMG_7197.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom