Chicken Breed Focus - Hedemora

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Oct 15, 2015.

1. altair

altair Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Vermont
    There's at least one breeder in Massachusetts, but either way shipping chicks and eggs (if you have an incubator) is the easiest way to add some Hedemora into your life. ;)

2. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks, Do you know the breeders info?.... Perhaps in the spring..... Its getting cold here now, And I dont feel like dealing with babies.... [​IMG]

Aldo

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    "It is almost impossible to put younger birds with adult Hedemoras. I keep a separate grow out pen next to their main pen so they can get to know each other and I also let them free range together. Once they reach adult hood they can be integrated like any other breed."

Mothernaturesdaughter, what age do you consider to be adulthood? Usually once youngsters (of other breeds) get to be nearly adult size, perhaps 4 mo., they are able to be intergrated with adults.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  4. mothernaturesdaughter

mothernaturesdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Williamsport
    I am guessing mine have been 5+ months or close to laying when the flock finally accepts them. The roosters become interested in the newbies and normally will coax them to hang out with the flock then the hens also accept the newbies.

I have some that are currently going through this process and, some of the older flock has been bedding down in the newbie's coop which, is a good sign they will start foraging together very soon.

This has been the only way I have been able to make a smooth transition for them and, so this has been my experience and I have heard from a couple of others that they had the same problem and, would be interested of others experiences. Broody hens can be a real asset when it comes to integrating new birds into a flock... I have only had 2 hens go broody in all of the time I have owned them until this summer I think I had a couple more but it did not last long.

Its little things like this that takes a little time to figure out but once you do, it becomes second nature.

5. Cockatrice6420

Cockatrice6420 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the broody integration system. The broodies seem to jump right up in the pecking order and the chicks are then accepted by the flock, at least with the breeds I have that all roam together.

6. AGuyWithSomeHen

AGuyWithSomeHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2015
    maybe our friend with the rooster and five hens can start planting flocks among those of us who want them ;-)

1 person likes this.
  7. Cockatrice6420

Cockatrice6420 Chillin' With My Peeps

That would be soooo cool.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It would be fun to see some photos of your birds if you wouldn't mind sharing!

9. TBirdsTheWord33

TBirdsTheWord33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Ohio
    I hear ya, Blooie!

10. altair

altair Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Vermont
    I was mistaken, she's in Connecticut. jan12 is her screen name on the board, try a PM :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by