Chicken Breed Focus - Iowa Blue

Curt,

My daughter received a trio of Dark Horse Acres Iowa Blues for a post Christmas present this ast year. She also got to hatch out about a dozen Smokey Iowa Blues as well. We're trying to determine how best to breed our flock for this next years breeding season. We have progeny from our original Silver trio, but have "siblings" in the Smokey line. Do you ever breed your Smokey's to your Silver's? Which would you recommend for more genetic diversity? I know we can get Silver chicks out of the Smokey line, so I don't know why we couldn't cross our two varieties, to increase diversity....Open to any and all suggestions. FYI....we just recently joined the Iowa Blue Chicken Club as well, so we're looking to help expand the breed here in Southern Illinois! :)

Welcome! I'm glad to hear you joined the IBCC! I'll do my best to answer your questions and provide the reasons behind the answers.

The short answer. Yes! Breed them together. There isn't a breeder in the club today who isn't doing just that to my knowledge. To give a little history, the accounts I was able to gather and the interviews I conducted with past breeders shared that the chicks would hatch out all different colors but would grow up looking the same at adulthood. Initially when I and a small group of breeders began the restoration, many people told us it wasn't possible and to be honest when looking at how far the breed had 'fallen' there were some initial doubts in our minds as well. However, we believed that if it had happened in the past, and we still had a pure line of stock, we could get there again. The reason for all the different variations is because of the different e locus genes that are in the genepool. Combined with this are varying amounts of melanizers and modifiers. Our main work has been in 'cementing' the modifiers and melanizers while letting the e locus genes flow in a natural progression. As Kelsie shared earlier, over the past two years, we've seen a lot of improvement in uniformity. As I shared earlier, these differences are seen by the club more as natural variations as opposed to clear cut varieties. This is a different philosophy. To some they enjoy this, to others they hate this. But it is what it is. The current goal of the club is to see all the different variations bred to the Standard. Clearly some of the variations have further to go than others, but this is still a work in progress. Once all the variations are bred to a point where they all can fit within the Standard, then we will have nearly completed our restoration work with the breed. We will then truly have chicks of all colors growing up to look the same.

Of course, as Kelsie also pointed out that in order to obtain APA recognition there would need to be a lot tighter uniformity in the breed. And this topic has been a well versed topic in the breed club and continues to be at the forefront of our minds. Do we severely limit the small gene pool by selecting aggressively toward the Standard in order to align ourselves with the APA requirements, or do we allow the natural flow of the breed to exhibit and allow the breed to continue to be selected for the adaptive traits it was created to exhibit? Because this breed was created as a landrace for homesteading and early 1900's agricultural practices, most who have been attracted to the breed are looking for birds to meet their needs (eggs, meat, predator awareness, protective instincts, etc.) with color and even shape coming in second. That said, the current 'mood' of the IBCC club membership is to let the breed operate in its natural form making selected changes over time requiring all the variations to be put under the same selection pressure. This may take us longer to reach our APA goal (and maybe this goal will never be met), but it pairs up with the needs of our membership and the current needs of the breed.

Wow, that pretty birds! Very interesting breed. I guess I will have to add this breed to my "just gotta have" list!!
lol.png

Thanks for featuring this breed!!

Curt,

Thank you for the explanation. Is there anywhere that is easier for me to share photos of our chicks/chickens in the future, so as to make the best selections possible in the future. Facebook? (Since we are new at this, I'm gonna need input from the more experienced breeders).

Actually, there is a long running thread here on backyardchickens that many breeders use to post pics and get feedback on setting up their breeding pens. The nice thing about this is that everyone gets to learn as we go along. We don't have a facebook page, however we do have an awesome website and member section that is second to none (in my opinion).

Curt,

Thank you for the explanation. Is there anywhere that is easier for me to share photos of our chicks/chickens in the future, so as to make the best selections possible in the future. Facebook? (Since we are new at this, I'm gonna need input from the more experienced breeders).

I got a lot of help posting photos here in the Iowa Breed thread and having the others comment on the birds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/469317/iowa-blues-breed-thread-and-discussion/

Iamfivewire posted a photo of our flock and you can see the variations we have gotten from almost all white to all black. Most of the birds are maturing to either a light shade or dark shade of penciling pattern :)
I hope you post your photos here in the thread as most of the original breeders do check that out pretty frequently.

Last edited:
Where can you get Iowa blues? I've been searching g and they say you need to buy 15 chikens at least. I just want one though. Help me please!
I got 4 Iowa Blue's from fivewire back in March. I lost one of them and one of them is a roo I'm trying to rehome right now. Mostly because Mom doesn't want a roo around making noise and and possibly attacking my chicken assisting dog, Miss Belle, a 9 pound toy Aussie Shepherd. Asking around the Iowa Blue thread should help you find somebody you can get Iowa Blues from.

I've just recently integrated my 3 Iowa's in with the rest of my flock about 2 weeks ago. They are just starting to get accepted by the tribe and are a lot more relaxed around the 6 year old hens I have. I have noticed that the roo does seem to be pretty timid, but according to fivewire and candy, that seems to be pretty typical of their boys before they grow up and become badasses like their Grandpappy Gandolph. At least now I haven't been seeing him as much hiding out in the nest boxes as he had been doing last week.

He did manage to somehow chip his beak about 3 weeks ago, but I think its already growning out.

freshly chipped tip of beak.

Him sitting with one of the other Iowa's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom