Chicken Breed Focus - New Hampshire

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Oct 1, 2015.

1. JessHeller

JessHeller In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    Longmont Colorado
    Hey @Latestarter I am also on the Front Range in Colorado. Where abouts are you located? I'm in Longmont. Kinda of fun to see someone else on here in who is in the same locale.

1 person likes this.
  2. JessHeller

JessHeller In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    Longmont Colorado
    They meet & greet everyone who comes. - Mine does the same. She is very vocal and always comes to see me when I get home in the afternoon. She is definetely my favorite.

3. newhamplover

newhamplover Chirping

Mar 27, 2016
    Okla.
    It is amazing how people oriented they are. They come in the chicken house every day when I am cleaning it & discuss the matter with me. The more I talk, the more they talk. Then Harry rooster usually comes in to check out the conversation. If one of them is setting they just watch me clean, doesn't disturb them at all. Then at 2:00 every afternoon they are at the back door for their mealworms & they are not going to leave until they get them. Every time I go out the back door, here they come. They are just such a wonderful pleasure.

4. Latestarter

Latestarter Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Welcome folks to BYC! They are great birds all around. [​IMG]

5. wherry

wherry Chirping

May 5, 2012
    Live from: Hudson NH
    I have had New Hampshire's since I got chicks. They are awesome breeds to have - as we live in New Hampshire that was one of the reasons to get some. They are friendly, good egg layers, cold hardy and in 4 years having hens, the only breed of chickens that I had a hen go broody. She was a great mother! Part of the fun of having chickens was being able to acquire the "local" New England breeds - New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks. [​IMG]

6. newhamplover

newhamplover Chirping

Mar 27, 2016
    Okla.
    I agree with you completely. I love all of the American Heritage breeds. I was torn between the New Hamps & the Barred Rocks. The breeder I got mine from bred both of those as well as the Delawares. They were all so beautiful. It is a shame that some are not that popular anymore. But to me you can't beat them. I love the quiet nature & beauty of my New Hamps. I love to go out & be with them & even to look at them out the windows. That was why I hatched the 7, 4 week olds I have now. I couldn't find them. Unfortunately neither of my hens are broody. I just had the 3. To me I think the USA was tops in producing the heritage breeds it did. And I would also love to see someday your part of the country. There again it is our heritage.....I love history, maybe that is why I love those breeds so much. That is such a cute chick pic. I can't get mine to stand still long enough to get a great pic.

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Im really hoping I get more.

8. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Here is my newhampshire rooster Zeus.He isnt very normal.He has more upstraight body and a hard time maturing.But he is a Newhampshire.

9. newhamplover

newhamplover Chirping

Mar 27, 2016
    Okla.
    Zeus is a very pretty rooster & you get so attached to them. I have 2 & probably 3 roosters in my chicks. I am already so attached to them I don't know how I will let them go. Wish they would all get along but I know I can't have 4 roosters & 6 hens.

10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Zeus is very sweet though.He tolerates me holding him.Also he can be a lap pet sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: