Chicken Breed Focus - Norwegian Jaerhon

What are you feeding the breeding stock? What are you feeding the chicks? What temperature were you incubating them at? All of those things may impact crooked or curled toes.

I have Jaerhons that were given to me by a friend who could no longer keep her chickens due to her busy schedule. Now I've only had them for winter and I know she got these chickens in spring of 2016. So maybe its the cold. My flock is supplemented with light but out of the 5 jaerhon hens I only get about 1 egg a day right now while my existing flock is laying well. I've had them for about 2 months now. And temps have been fluctuating from low teens to upper 40s depending on the week.

Do they normally lay so little in the winter?

Last edited:
I lost my rooster this winter. If you have eggs chicks or adult birds please let me know. Im in Indiana Thank you

Hi Rebecca, I'm sorry I didn't see you post until just now; I've been very busy getting ready for our sales season. My hens laid extremely well through their first winter, during which they were approximately 8-11 months old at the time. Then they all quite laying in late Oct-early Nov of 2016 at which point they were all still under years. They are a lovely breed though. I absolutely adore them. I hope you enjoy yours just as much!

Laura

You wouldn't happen to be Bill, would you? If so, you contacted me by phone and I've put you down for an order for late April-early May should you not find anything sooner.

Laura

Yes its me. Still trying to find a rooster. Figured it would be worth a shot on here.

Oops. When the weather was in the 50-60 the week prior they were averaging 4 a week per hen but now temps back down to teens to twenties and getting about 1 a day.

Last edited:
Hi Bill. I hatched out 1 Norwegian Egg with a bunch of crosses. I have the one Norwegian Rooster mixed with Norwegian hens and a bunch of other breeds.

Well, the one Norwegian chick turned out to be a rooster . He's now 4 weeks old. But I'm in NY and not sure how to get him to you in this Cold as he's quite young still.

By all means, I understand. I hope you find something, and if so, so problem. Just let me know and we'll cancel the order. This is probably the best place to look considering they're rarity.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom