Chicken Breed Focus - Plymouth Rock

Bossy Girl is my only Barred hen. She is just over 1 yr and has always had a little air about herself. She has never been sick, never has a feather out of place and keeps herself immaculately clean. I bought 2 of several diff breed birds. I gave mom the other Barred and hers is a lot more sociable than my Bossy Girl.
Very nice and healthy bird! Use her for breeding and you will get excellent chicks!

Bossy Girl is my only Barred hen. She is just over 1 yr and has always had a little air about herself. She has never been sick, never has a feather out of place and keeps herself immaculately clean. I bought 2 of several diff breed birds. I gave mom the other Barred and hers is a lot more sociable than my Bossy Girl.

Great looking girl! (And very nice photograph.)

I have been giving serious thought to an incubator. Several of fun chicken friends incubate all their eggs and then have a bantam hen do most of the brooding. I don't have a Barred roo only a mix roo and a black copper maran still in the fluffy stage. We shall see... Thanks for the idea and compliments everyone.

I only have one Plymouth Rock, Roxy, and actually she is heat hardy which is why I got her.  She lays 6 eggs each week, nice brown fat ones and she is a bit bossy and loud.  She instructs everyone around on how to do whatever they are doing. LOL.  She also talks to me and is very friendly and curious.  She is smart and calm but I haven't had her go broody, yet. She will get into everything and show the others how to get into trouble while she is at at....

Roxy sounds like she sure has a real personality! I have a hen named Roxy too, LOL. But my Roxy is a RSL.

Beautiful hen! :thumbsup

I LOOOOOVE my two plymouths! They have the best personalities out of my whole flock and they're only about 5.5 weeks old. They're such goofballs but so loving, especially "Moo", who loves to be petted and snuggled and is always looking for a lap to sit on.

Sleeping on my hand today (not dead!!)

My other ones name is "Charlie"

This was taken when she was 1.5 weeks old!

I love my Plymouth Rock. Syrachi is the best rooster ever. Loves people loves kids. Just a great all around breed

Last edited:
Agreed. If anyone is interested in breeding, or standard bred Rocks in general, the Plymouth Rock Breeders Thread is loaded with great information and discussions. Heres links to a couple books I found either on that thread or another, I can't remember, if anyone is interested. The first is the Plymouth Rock Standard and Breed Book and the second is another book discussing the varieties and standards. They're old books, from 1915 and 1911, but still provide a lot of useful and interesting information in my opinion. Hopefully the links work.

The Plymouth Rock Standard and Breed Book;
A complete description of all varieties of Plymouth Rocks, with the text in full from the latest (1915)
revised edition of the American standard of perfection as it relates to all varieties of Plymouth Rocks.
Also, with treatises on breeding, rearing, feeding, housing, conditioning for exhibitions, exhibiting--etc
https://archive.org/details/plymouthrockstan00amer_0

Standard-Bred Plymouth Rocks, Barred, White, Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge and Columbian;
Their practical qualities; how to judge them; how to mate and breed for best results
https://archive.org/details/standardbredplym00denn
Thank you so much for these references! I am going to look at some pullets/ hens for my BPR roo and these are extremely helpful!

Back
Top Bottom