Chicken Breed Focus - Plymouth Rock

This is my first and only Plymouth rock, she is still young :)

We have a few barred rocks. Great disposition and gets along well with other breeds. One of my girls likes to follow me around, always sure I have a treat for her, which I usually do
1f600.png

Pretty hens! Love the picture of the girl with the Pumpkin and the one sunbathing.

Actually, I think the pumpkin picture shows their curiosity. I happened to have my phone with me when that hen saw the pumpkin for the first time, and she was fascinated by it. This was her full investigation:

You can just see her thinking, "What in the world is THIS?"

Funny! She sure took a good look at it!

This is my 5 week old White Rock. Her feathers are unbelievably soft and fluffy compared with my RIR. She is a little shy still, but pretty calm once I hold her. I'm a beginner and chose the breed (after a lot of research) primarily for cold climate hardiness, friendliness (I have two kids who are very excited about our chickens!), good egg-laying, and for being a good beginner-bird in general. She seems happy with us so far! Loves when I feed her small earth worms. Was a pro at dust-bathing from the start and seemed to teach the RIR how to do it. I'm exciited and proud to be raising my beautiful "tween" ladies!

Very cute little flock! They should lay lots of eggs for you!

I have a small flock of 24 hens.  They are extremely docile, friendly and inquisitive.  I raised them from day old chicks, making sure to handle them every day.  The girls are fed certified organic feed and scraps from my organic garden.  They reward me with an 82% lay rate!!  I have not had them through a winter here in Arizona yet and am not sure how their production will be with shorter daylight hours come winter.  
I do have a misting system in the run to help them keep their cool in our warming temps. (91-94 this week).  The Coop and run are shaded by native trees and I am adding a shade cloth in the next couple of weeks.  
I am definitely happy with having Barred Rocks for my first flock!! 

That is a very nice rate of lay! Sounds like you have some happy chickens!

And, Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

Nice flock! The one hen in the nest box looks so serious about laying that egg!

Thank you! Snow White was not impressed with me photographing her when she was laying her egg.

I love her face in this picture, she looks like she's thinking, "I'm laying a egg here, I need my privacy!" LOL

Haha, she sure does look like she has a few things she'd like to say!

Back
Top Bottom